The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Stillman

looking for Dioscorea bulbifera

Looking for this plant or tubers to start can trade some interesting sweet potato slips? Or willing to pay cash.

thanks in advance.

Are you after the domesticated aerial potato with the tiny yams & large bulbils or the wild cheeky yam with small bulbils & largish yams?

Once mine wake up & i can see which is what i should have some i can part with.

Hey Shortly, I thought you would be the man with the yams. Looking for the domesticated ones, when I was a kid my grandfather used to grow this and we ate them. Apparently they can be poisonous? But from memory he just used to boil them flat out. I have become quite addicted to growing the Doiscorea after doing some research.

They will probably be a while yet, they are one of the last yams to wake in spring & one of the last to go into dormancy.

Yeah they are poisonous, they contain diosgenin & an assortment of other bitter toxins hence "cheeky yam" which is removed by boiling, although many of the domesticated variety's have reduced or apparently even absent diosgenin.

There is also apparently a variety of D alata that produces large edible bulbils that are edible even raw, but i haven't been able to lay my hands on that one as yet. (If anyone know where to find this plant PLZ let me know)

They are such a fascinating and varied group, so generous and very under rated.

Edited by shortly
  • Like 1