The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mindperformer

Spondias dulcis (Ambarella)- sour leaves

Ambarella (Spondias dulcis) is a tropical tree with a wide range, its homeland is Melanesia and Polynesia (to the far east of the pacific on the society islands). Its fruits and leaves can be eaten. The leaves have a sour taste but this is not caused by the irritant oxalic acid like many other sour plants (except the fruits). Ambarella contains much more citric- and malic- than oxalic acid.

In my experience the leaves of the plant are also uniquely sticky without making the hands sticky and a very refreshing taste, they can be eaten raw, are perfect for salad-mixes, tea-mixes instead of the lemon, cocktails and more.

In West Java the young leaves are used as seasoning for pepes. In Samoa, Niue, Tahiti and the Cook Islands, an infusion of the leaves is used to treat sore throats and mouth infections.

The related Spondias mombin was found to be anxiolytic mediated by GABAergic transmission.

Spondias dulcis- leaf, 24-fold:

2ll0ub7.jpg

I've read that another polynesian fruit, the Noni (Morinda citrifolia), has its homeland in Queensland, Australia, but I don't know the source of this info. Somebody know more on that issue?

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 1

yes, noni grows in far north queensland. Needs tropical weather to do well.

Bummer that I don't like Noni's taste that much. Does pretty well here in our semi arid tropical temps climate. Needs little to no watering here and it love's our soil as well.

that indicates that Queensland, Australia is the real origin of Noni,

here a plant of Pa's garden (the island shaman) on Rarotonga:

3483hg3.jpg

At the last day on Raro, Pa gave me fresh noni-fruit which I've put in alcohol shortly after arrival in Vienna.

My noni-plant (also the leaves can be used, the root is used in TCM):

2e3vdif.jpg

and its small fruit:

inhf8y.jpg

The leaves are also wound healing and antioxidant and contain iridoid glycosides, flavonol glycosides and anthraquinones.

The Xeronine in the fruit has an indirect stimulating effect on the production and use of endorphins and endogenous opioids in the body.

The root (Bajitian in chinese medicine), contains moridin and vitamin c and has antidepressant, antinociceptive, aphrodisiac, anti-rheumatic and anti-stress properties.

Edited by mindperformer

The polynesian breadfruit (Artocarpus altilis) and the ambarella (Spondias dulcis) should have its origin in Melanesia (most likely Papua New Guinea):

http://www.amjbot.org/content/91/5/760/F2.expansion

The polynesian noni (Morinda citrifolia) could have its ancestors in India according to this paper:

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=8444101