The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gtarman

Growing B. Caapi in full shade...?

Hey guys. Momentous occasion - I just planted out my very first Caapi today: I'm calling it Ourinhos Uno...pictures will be on the way when I sort out a camera in the coming weeks!

So...I planted it in a fairly large pot, and watered it in. But I'm not really sure if I've placed the pot in a good spot as far as sun exposure goes. It's basically in full shade - receiving no direct sunlight. The tree next to it seems to have done alright thus far - having grown up into the light and is now thriving.

My thinking was that putting the Caapi here would simulate the low-light conditions of the rainforest floor, and encourage it to grow up toward the light. Am I just being daft? Will it die in the shade?

Edited by gtarman

Irie,

Should do ok if you have good ambient/indirect light....

Caapi will keep small if isolated & retarded in small pot in the shade for years.

When planted in the ground they go nuts...

Good luck.

Respect,

Z

• Like 1

they grow very well/quick in full sun if you keep the water up to them!

Ive planted one under a massive candlenut tree and its about half the way up the tree now.

• Like 1

if you have a spot with semi shade, under a tree, than i would go for that location.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. The ambient light is okay - but full sun here is intense...it bleaches clothes if you leave them on the line, and dries almost anything out in a couple hours max. But after searching I think I may have found a better spot, next to a palm in dappled sunlight.

My cutting is still very young, and is of the green and herbaceous type (not woody)...so do you think it might be a good idea to leave it in the shady spot for a week or two before moving it? So that it has time to recover from the shock of being transplanted (and posted), and maybe put out some new roots, get used to it's new home...? Or would it do these things better with a little sun anyway?

Sorry for the barrage of questions...I just wanna give this guy the best start I can :)

i would not try to help the plant by giving it shade, it will get used to the shade and will be a bit pissed off, once you move it towards semi shade.

caapi are tough, i never observed transplant shock with them, unless you dropped the pot onto the ground from ample height.

avoiding stress factors, will produce a sissy plant, don't go that route.

now that it's repoted, put it into the new spot, but avoid that direct sun hit's the pot. just water often, if needed. if you pamper her she will be ready to be planted out in 3 or 4 months. if you got super soil in the garden, you could plant out even the baby....

• Like 3