The Corroboree
nitrogen

Nitrogen´s Connoisseur hybrids - pics and seed giveaway

Stillman those sure look healthy whatever they are! That cross would have been TPM x SS02 rather than the reverse - not sure if y'all just say it differently in Oz, but I've always been under the impression it is said/written mother x father..

Anyhow, I reckon we'll have some interesting developments with this year's batch - can't wait! Here's a few pics of some of the (SS02 x pachanoi) x TPM babies I grafted onto pereskiopsis - they have just started to turn on the growth (grafted about a month ago).

In the third pic, the larger scion on the right is actually a TPM x SS02 - I grafted a couple pups from that cross along with some of this years infants - I've found that larger seedlings graft to pereskiopsis with high success..

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1647.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

Edited by nitrogen
  • Like 8

So that batch that tripsis had was definitely TPM (mother) x SS02 Father? We say it the same I just wasn't sure what my batch of seeds came from as I lost my list , other than I got them from Tripsis. Thanks for clearing that up. Thats good to know then.

Stillman, I don't know what you have there, but they're definitely not TPM X SS02, as I never gave you seeds of those. If they are definitely a TPM cross from Nitrogen, then they would have been SS01 x TPM.

• Like 1

sweet Thanks Tripsis I think I got 8 or 9 seeds off you I didn't think the TPM was the mother in fact I thought there may have been some conjecture as to wether the TPM pollen was even the father. I just couldn't find my paper work.

Here's some updated pics - these are the (SS02 x pachanoi) x TPM - I grafted some of each cross but this cross I grafted first and they got a head start - they all look like they're growing a bit unusual to me, though it's too soon to tell for sure..

The one though in particular is all sorts of weird - it's putting out little pups at the end of each of the original areoles, and then in the center looks like it's starting to crest or some such.. If it turns out the crosses with TPM as father have a high freak rate as well as the TPM mother crosses that'd be awesome.. The last pic is a lone TPM x (SS02 x pachanoi) which is starting to look a little odd also - finger's x'd!

IMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1723.jpg

IMG_1721.jpg

IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

Edited by nitrogen
  • Like 6

woot, wy two successful SS01 X TPM are just looking normal atm, i'll post pics later. (although, they may have been open pollenated from what u said)

Great work nitrogen , has anyone got any mutants from these seeds yet?

I grafted 5 TPMxN1 seedlings today and I'm going to do 20 or so more when I get back from holidays.

I ended up getting two lots of these seeds, one from a very generous Australian member and then from Nitrogen himself so anyone interested in a couple seeds pm me I have a few I can pass along.

I got high germination rates from all of the nitrogen crosses I'm growing. I didn't count how many seeds I put down, but it seems like at least most made it so far. :)

• Like 3

Everything I put down has germinated, I would think upwards of 85% germination.

I got 99-100% germ rate on everything. The only kinda exception is the TPQC X TPM seeds, all but 1 germinated, but about 5% have stalled just after emerging, they look very confused, the rest are growing as per.

i had close to if not 100% germinate for me. here are some pics of the ones i grafted around 3 weeks ago 3 of them are growing well and the other 2 are just starting to show sighns of growth now.

has anyone else got arround to grafting any yet? id love to see some updated pics of your's nitrogen have you got any freaks yet?

IMG_2979_zps8e3c1d08.jpg

IMG_2978_zps6ca314e0.jpg

IMG_2977_zps4477131d.jpg

IMG_2976_zps1f86e3ed.jpg

• Like 5

Havn't grafted any yet, but one of the X's is showing 2 crests and one monstrose so far and they are only tiny. All others are looking pretty normal so far, but thats to be expected.

• Like 2

Great work man, do you have them growing under lights ? My seedlings are all outside in plastic tubs in 100% washed river sand, they aren't growing very fast ATM :(

mine are under twin 30W flouro tubes, seived cacti mix, richgro brand, microwave tek. I want to graft, but am too nervous. I know they'll survive on their own roots, they'll just take a year to get to decent size instead of just a month or two :P Havta grow sum balls :P

Sounds like you have a good set up man, I need to make a bigger grow box so I can get all my seedlings under lights , I only have enough room for my grafts ATM . I hadn't grafted anything for a couple years till these but I have only lost 1 out of 10 so far and the 1 I lost was an albino :( . All of my seedlings are still way too small to tell if they are crested or anything so it's just a lucky dip :) I'd prob be nervous too if I knew they were crests.

Good luck with them man

Definitely some weirdness in my garden at this point - have about a half dozen of each cross growing on pereskiopsis - one of my (SS02 x pachanoi) x TPM looks like that spaceship from Prometheus..

• Like 1

"when one sees a misfit, one sees the gifted" ;)

• Like 1

Update:

SS01 x TPM

Year old seedlings, at least three are beginning to crest, (and these were the ones you weren't 100% sure if they had even been crossed with a mutant)

Here is the most crested plant so far:

and here is a little graft of the same cross which i saved from rot:

Please note that it took at least 10 months growing these plants before i saw any signs of mutation, so no one should be worried if all their seedlings look normal for a long time.. they will freak out in good time :rolleyes:

• Like 8

Nice seedlings you have there bf, what are there growth rates like grafted to trich seedlings conpared to pereskiopsis?

I couldnt tell you sorry MushrooMan as i havent done much peres grafting, only did my first few the other day.

I imagine that young seedling graft on peres would grow faster but a graft on a little tricho could last longer and you can graft much older seedlings. I find tricho grafting pretty stress free now, so i was experimenting to see how tiny i could go. The graft in my post above is just under 3cm high in total :)

It's ok , when grafting to trich seedlings do you still have to keep them in high humidity for a week or so? I haven't had much luck grafting to trichs in the past , lost probably 80% :( but grafting seedlings to pereskiopsis I have no problems with for some reason.

I've never done seedling grafts to trich stock, but yeah, I'd keep any graft in high humidity for atleast the first week or so. I've prepped ~ 40 pere's for grafting and will graft a bunch of Nitrogens seedlings to them in next week or so. Here's a link to my flouro box setup, one of them anyways, I also use tube flouro's. These are easier to wire up if your not confident in wiring up in series.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31255&hl=lightbox

Thanks man ,

do you grow all your peres under lights?

I took 40+ cuttings today to get my stock collection up as none of them are healthy enough to graft to ATM.

I would like to grow them under lights but they grow way too skinny in my setup.

yeah, I grow under those lights my pere's, if too skinny, maybe fertilize them. I do.

peace

• Like 1