The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Evil Genius

Invasion of the Hiptage?

Hi everyone,

i have a question about a plant i´m growing. As Banisteria benghalensis seems to be a synonym for Hiptage benghalensis, i thought that this liana could be interesting to grow. Now i read some informations concerning this plant in the Global Invasive Species Database. They stated that this plant has a rating of 4 out of 5 for invasiveness it is number 92 on the top 200 list of Invasive species in Queensland. I enclude the link:

http://www.issg.org/database/species/ecolo...si=87&fr=1&sts=

They advise not to grow them at all.

I didn´t knew that in advance and i am going stop growing them if there is any risk that some plants can outrun into the local flora. Do you have personal expierences with this "weed" in Australia? Would it be hard enough to survive the european climate?

Hoppla, i just noticed that i used the wrong forum if hiptage is an invasive species.

Most plants are only weeds in very narrowly defined ecosystem/cimate niches. I can't see Hiptage being much of a problem in subtropics and temperate climate, but it would be very problematic in the wet tropics. From watching the two plants grow side by side I would say Banisteriopsis caapi is MUCH more invasive than Hiptage and over a much wider range of climates.

One of the biggest problems with this family are the wind dispersed seeds and the choking habit of the vine. However, no matter how much wind and suitable land you have,these plants are much less problematic if they are grown in climates where they do not produce seeds. Caapi will not seed in my area, and I am pretty sure Hiptage won't either.

Thanks Torsten! I´m glad that i can continue growing it and don´t have to worry about being the one who is starting the invasion.Lianas are cool but there aren´t many tropical ones available on the commercial market.

speaking of weeds, what i've found is that there are many aussie natives with weed potential within other parts of australia... my 2 biggest weed problems in my garden are both natives which I've introduced (by propagating them for my nursery and not controlling them carefully enough): Isotoma axillaris and Nicotiana suaveolens.

Personally i think the idea of "invasive exotic plants" has validity but is very flawed in many ways too.

[ 06. September 2005, 09:19: Message edited by: Rimbaud ]

oh yeah and speaking of weeds again, i spose the portuguese are cursing the day they planting their eucalypts With the recent fires they now have a "real taste of Australia", even more authentic than Fosters

Is it that easy to set eucalypts on fire? I had no idea that a particular species could be a trigger for some annual fires.Until now i was the opinion that mostly malicious arson of some speculators could be one of the causes for lots of fires in Portugal and in some other countries too. BestRegs EG

[ 06. September 2005, 12:43: Message edited by: Evil Genius ]

Eucalyptus burns better than pine. In Europe pine plantations are interplanted with leafy firebreaks to prevent large fires. Even though eucalyptus is a leafy tree it is definitely not fire retardant.

Eucalyptus twigs make the best fire starters. You can light them with a small match.

I took a cutting and placed it into a glass of water.The cutting drank half of the contained water in one day. Very thirsty!