The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Bread Filter

Did I Buy The Right Sulphur?

Hey guys.

I got this from my Bunnings, (reluctantly), last night and was wondering if it is the correct product. I want to coat some rot on a Loph with it. If that is what I even do.

sulphur.jpg

Any help anyone can add whatsoever will be most appreciated as I am a noob at this.

Not sure about the sulphur being the right stuff or not

all I have is some in a jar that was given to me by a mate

But just wanted to say make sure you try cut the rot out as much as possible first then coat it with sulphur

Don't just go straight over the rot it's likely the rot will just keep going inside

Not sure about the sulphur being the right stuff or not

all I have is some in a jar that was given to me by a mate

But just wanted to say make sure you try cut the rot out as much as possible first then coat it with sulphur

Don't just go straight over the rot it's likely the rot will just keep going inside

Thanks dude. I didn't know that.

Hey BF,

I use that one on cuttings & it has worked fine.

Its only down fall IMO is the fine granules aren't fine enough, I put a bit in a bag & crush it into a powder.

• Like 1

^^^ I use searles sulphur powder, I was actually wondering about the granules & whether they would be effective. Any cuts I've ever had mailed to me from commercial nurseries have always been wrapped up with plenty of powder on the cuts.

Good tip joxy...

• Like 2

I prefer it powdered but fine granule works too because it releases the sulphur a bit slower. Looks good to me.

• Like 1

I get my sulfur from a trucking company that hauls the by products of local refineries petroleum distillation into gasoline. Apparently there's arse loads of sulfur in some grades of crude oil. The trucking company hauls the sulfur in a molten liquid form.

Anyway the stuff i get is in forms of beads & chunks & I just run it thru the blender to create a fine powder.

iI gopt the same brand from bunnings the other day but it is slightly different and was going t o ask the same thing. Mine is the wettable sulphur 800g/kg Sulphur. also this seems to be in dust form not granules. Would it be ok to just sprinkle this on or should it be sprayed as per instructions

I also have tomato dust which could probs do the same job as it has the following in it (corrent me if i am wrong) 400g/kg Sulphur, 40g/kg Copper, 0.5g/kg Spinosad

Hey DarkSpark,

The instructions are probably for adding the sulphur to your soil, if you are using it to heel cuts or wounds on your cactus, I would use it dry.

I have heard of people using tomato dust with good results, but I have never used it myself.

It says to spray onto leafy plants for treatments of fungus and so forth. I had never planned to actually use it with water on my cacti as it seems stupid to spray water on it lol. The powder in mine is much finer than the granules in the other though so it would probs be a better option for future purchases in bunnings. I sprinkled some dry over a few of my cacti to see if there are any negative effects but as far as i can see it is just sulphur with 200mg/g of filler in there.

I had originally bought it as i thought wettable meant i would be able to spray it and it wouldn't wash off easily, next time i am spending the money on something like this i may actually read the bottle. Either way i am sure it should work as a dusting sulphur it is the same consistency.

note: After comparing ingredients with other sulphurs on the market it appears to be fine. We shall wait and see how the dusted cacti turn out.

good to know about the tomato dust the only thing i thought may be an issue is that the other ingredients could possibly be harmful. The trouble is that they market so many products for specific purposes that its hard to know if it will work for me. Like most of the sulphurs have information on application to tomatoes and veggies which is obviously not going to help me.

• Like 1