The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mutant

Argyreia nervosa propagation & cultivation notes

After some experimentation , I found Argyreia relatively easy to propagate after all, and so is with Turbina, maybe even more so.

most vines are not supposed to be particularly difficult after all, cloned with cuttings that is, as long as you take the cuttings right and in the right season, which is the growing season, when the plants are active and throwing new vines every other day - this is the summer in the northern hemisphere

Sure, as with all vines, using rotting hormone is suggested and it increases your rate of success.

I leave one leave on the cutting, two at most, which I cut a lot, leaving a little of leaf. keeping an unopened small leaf also works.

here are some pics which might be helpful

P1070731.jpg

here are samples of cuttings sizes that work for me. This last time, I found putting a bit rotting hormone in the water [changing the water when needed] induced one of the cuttings to form roots in the water and another was about to.

P1070737.jpg

these are some newly planted rooted or 'prerooting' cuttings.

P1070728.jpg

here's the plant from which I now take cuttings, which was planted in the ground only a couple months ago.

Edited by mutant
  • Like 3

Irie,

Nice one mutant!

I've just started propagating hbwr cuttings...

The ones I've taken so far have had some advantageous roots...so it's been easy....

I'll have to try some like yours.....

Any ideas when the hell they set seeds???

Respect,

Z

he ones I've taken so far have had some advantageous roots...so it's been easy....

didn't get this one. want to explain?

Any ideas when the hell they set seeds

sure.

contrary to turbinas which tries to flower [with no success so far] in winter, which coincides with our coldest weather here, argyreias will start making their buds late summer, early automn. Mince havent started yet this summer.

The seeds pods might take all winter to ripen, while the plants gradually loose most leaves during the colds of winter. you might want to chack for mold during this period, and if a pod is suspect, you might wanna harvest it early and experiment with unripe material...

Depending on the type of harvest [unripe or ripe] you might harvest the ripe seed the next year, say, march or april.

I could check my photos for more accurate dates, but I think that will do for now... Besides, them being tropical their cycle depends a bit on the year and particular habitat and temps.

PS: I used to have another strain of argyreia will less wool and a bit smaller leaves but it didn't make it. I would love to grow other strains again one day.

Irie,

Well it's been flowering for a couple of months or more now...

Just haven't seen any ripe pods.....

Lots of hummingbirds and large bees on it the whole time!!!

It's now getting out of control.

I've got to cut it back or let it take over the roof???

What to do with this triffid!!

Respect,

Z

post-5111-0-45009100-1345653107_thumb.jp

post-5111-0-64693700-1345653122_thumb.jp

post-5111-0-45009100-1345653107_thumb.jpg

post-5111-0-64693700-1345653122_thumb.jpg

post-5111-0-45009100-1345653107_thumb.jpg

post-5111-0-64693700-1345653122_thumb.jpg

hehehe

they're supposed to be dangerously invasive when in warm and humid conditions like tropics, but I love them.

awesome vine, no doubt it

thank you for the stunning photographs!

mine dont seem to have a problem to set seed.

interesting, any thouhgts on polliantors there? mine rarely set seed, they do but poorly. they also have been flwoering for a few months, i think here with us its lack of bees, as in there are almost none. but zaka has them, wierd.

mutant, ho wdry are you in hbrw flowering time? sometimes i wonder if its possible that heavy watering is the cause too as they live in flood area here.

the few seeds i get take about 2 months from flowering i think. turbina also take 1-2 months, maybe your winters are jsut a touch too cold?

pollinators>

well I thought they were self fertile? maybe its also according to strain? but yeah there are bees and stuff here to pollinate them.

as for how dry

dry as fuck at flowering but as the seedpods form its getting more wet and more cold.

the tubina had attempted twice to flower in winter and failed both times.

edit: hey just checked some photos from last yearz

I got flowers from as early as 5 august and seedpods, unripe, not well formed at 15 September. they're late this year.

Edited by mutant

cool thanks. im not sure but i am going to go and guess they are not self fertile (hbwr). i had a plant flower for a couple years on its own and nothing at all. with 2 growing together i sometimes get something. i wonder if its water related....here in summer htey are eitehr moist-wet all the way to 1 meter high flood. so they get loads of water all year, never dry.

oh I always had one plant flowering at once and it set seed fine

maybe it is indeed the lack of a dry season where you are. so you're not having many flowers?

I think I am having as many seedpods as I am having flowers, more or less...

cool, thanks for settling that one. I get LOTS of flowers from feb-nov usually, but jsut not seeds. I am working on getting more bees in the area, but people spray even kms away adn they wipe them out.

strange. our dry season is also our cold one, but dry is a relative term...our farm dirt is no longer ever dry at any point and we do zero irrigation.

on topic, your cuts look really nice :)

thanks, and they are rooting easilty in plain water too, no rooting hormone the secnd time.

Irie,

Cool I'll cut the bugga back then.

I'll try "Bucket of water" method then! :wink:

Respect,

Z

My HBWRs from seed under sodium-light:

2wri7v8.jpg

vhur6h.jpg

• Like 1

^^^^^

wow that's what I call a fitzcarraldo project!! The strange formations in the base of the plant remind of a relatively old but very small plant that was living in a small pot in a northern greece city , were, like austria, is pretty cold for argyreias! Its a sign of lots of trouble and lots or terminated leaves/branches.

many of the stems in the pic are dead/dried. Nevertheless this thing you did is a proof of what passion and determination can do: cultivating argyreia in Austria! wow, again!

thanks for sharing the photos. This was from a previous growing?

hey mindperformer, did she flower for you?

====

some new photos:

P1070997.jpg

P1070992.jpg

P1070989.jpg

my potted one was not watered a lot this year, not ferted a lot too, and was shy in growing and so shy in flowering that I did not even notice the bract [leaves] . it seems flowering occurs in last years growth. There are only a couple of flowering stalks

On the contrary, the onther one I put in the ground this year seems to be going wild:

Edited by mutant

beautiful pictures!

no, mine did not flower, next summer I will put one on the balcony for more space...

gorgeous flowers!