The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Tryptameanie

Solanums and bunyas

There is a lovely 2m solanum (looks like one of the natives, a "kangaroo apple" no doubt), covered in fruit, in the grounds of Stanmore Primary School. I can pick a few if anyone is interested.

There's also a big bunya (nice choice for a schoolyard :rolleyes: ), but I've got the cones for this year, so there :cool: . I think this is probably the most delicious of the native plants I have tasted- roasted in the shell, then dipped in butter, salt and pepper. Use secateurs or something to open the hot seeds, don't bite them open, or they'll violently explode, filling your mouth with superheated endosperm, and causing nasty burns to the entire inside of your mouth (this didn't happen to me of course, I would never be so stupid :o )

They can also be ground and used in baked goods (I've tried fruit tarts with the base composed at least mostly of the nuts with sugar and butter, not sure if any flour was added).

[ 17. March 2005, 11:13: Message edited by: Tryptameanie ]

yeah i have a few kangaroo apples sut when do u harvest fruit for the seed?

also i knoow they r toxic but an aboriginal friend told me that the fruit is edible at some stage but i forget which stage:(

anyone know about this?

thanx

Kangaroo apples need to be VERY ripe before you eat them. (a bit like tomatoes, green tomatoes are a little bit toxic and need to be fried/cooked)

I'm not sure if frying cooking will help with kangaroo apples.

Check a good bushtucker source for more info!!

yep very ripe is right.

What makes the trees so beautiful is that the fruit is often in all kinds of different stages of ripeness. Looks awesome - orange, red, yellowy etc..

But you have to be REALLY careful if you wanted to eat the fruit. I wouldn't, just in case i got it wrong.

Sort of like the blowfish on the simpsons... the chef says "this fish is deadly if not cooked properly... but if prepared properly, it is quite tasty."

the seed form the ripe to over-ripe fruit is easily washed and stored and stays very viable for quite a while (at least a couple of years from my experience)

btw one of the alkaloids in the s.aviculare fruit is solasodine.

don't they make some sort of contraceptive or something from a chem in this plant?

There are lots of solanaceous species called "kangaroo apple", so don't eat any till you've got a positive ID as an edible (and have researched preparation).

This plant has indeed got fruit at all stages of ripeness, green through yellow, orange and red.

psycho0:

don't they make some sort of contraceptive or something from a chem in this plant?

Kangaroo ate my baby!

psycho0:

Yep, steroids from which they make Solasodine which is used in oral contraceptives