The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
lhb2444

Living plants as tactile sensors

Stumbled across this on newscientist.com the other day, some researchers are using living plants as tactile sensors to allow us to interact with electronic devices and what not. The video explains it a hell of lot better than I ever could so I won't bother trying. Interesting to see the researches also try using some pretty spiny cacti too, can't imagine they'd be suitable touch sensors though,

I'm in awe, I had thought about modelling plants as electrical circuits a little while ago but it's so cool to see it actually working in real life. Thanks heaps for sharing!

Imagine a band where the bass player and guitarist(s) were playing big logs of scop or something along those lines, EPIC!

interesting. i heard a while ago about this "sonobotanics" area of research. still not sure if it's junk science or not, but one of these days i'll get around to reading more about it:

Sonobotanics is still a widely unknown science; it studies plants whose life experience is predominantly in the auditory domain. Since the 1970’s Dr. Hortensia Audactor has carried out the core research in this area. Despite difficulties encountered in the publication of her results, she has collected a substantial body of research about the growth patterns, communication behavior, and other characteristics of these plants. Recently, the field of Predictive Sonobotanics has been founded, attempting to create models of the plants with the aim of predicting the behavior of sonobotanic plants and to gain a deeper understanding of the subtleties in sonobotanic plant behaviour. In the exhibition models of the Periperceptoida Triquetrus Nutandis and the Periperceptoida Triquetrus Dependis are presented.

http://www.sonobotanics.org