The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ed Dunkel

Duboisia myoporoides cultivation/germination

I found some ripe berries with seeds and was wondering if anyone had any good experience with germinating and cultivating this one?

Darcy is the man to ask about this one.

Where is this strain from? I am trying to collect a few different strains.

They have a specimen at the Royal Bot. Gardens in Melbourne.

Any idea on the source, Vanda?

Darcy, any tips?

Hi Ed,

i've been germinating the seeds pretty easily here from fresh berries. If you crush up the berries and even let them sit for a day in the juice and them wash thoroughly, they will germinate very well. They don't need light like some Solanaceae and should be sown 0.5-1cm under the surface. They may damp off in some conditions, jsut fongarid them if they start to. Keep them moist and they'll pop up in 4-5weeks.

They may have a dormancy in you dry them and store them, but if they are fresh then you can get them before they enter that dormancy.

hope that helps,

darcy

Darcy's seed quality and cleaning for myoporoides is A1 (like everything at his store...sllllurp ). You can expect close to 90% germination with no seed treatment... you just need to have patience :) You might find they come up one by one over a period of weeks, starting after about a month like darcy says.

Almost cries out for a GA-3 experiment. If i was literate and sane i would do it.

If only myoporoides was the D species on everyone's minds

T and, err.., "Old Mate" - while you're at it with the morpho/chemo-types of myoporoides, the New Caledonian variety is worthy of further investigation. If anyone stumbles across it, or already has it, don't be shy! This might be interesting.

Cheers MG man!

Someone told me a local strain of myoporoides contains nicotine as well as the ones that occur on pacific islands. Its a hard one to test because of the tropanes that occur in most of them.

darcy's newly discovered forum hacking skills have just gotten to the point of bad taste don't you think?

I agree about the bad taste thing. Would have been really funny if I deleted him

Geez, this thread has turned into an MG & Mulga exchange --- ruuuuuuuuuunnnnnnn!