The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
alucinare

Phalaris aquatica 'australia'

Now this may seem like a bit of a dumb question, however, please take into consideration my poor ability to intentionally grow stuff and my inexperience in the cultivation field while answering this question put simply: how do you grow Phalaris aquatica?

Now i've done some research around the net and have'nt really got anything solid about how to grow the plant from a seed though I do know once they are grown the can be quite sturdy and might be, depending on your perspective, classed as a "weed". Are there ideal conditions in which this baby thrives? is there an ideal way in which to cultivate the seedlings? and how long do the seedlings usually take to sprout?

Well thanx for any help anyone may be able to give. oh and i was'nt sure which section to present this question so i hope this section is ok.

You've prolly already seen it growing along roadsides and not known what it was .

phalaris%20aquatica%2001.jpg

This has a short description but don't do as they say and poison them!

it likes moderate moisture and low humidity for its seedling phase, but shortly after will become very thirsty. It's a weed, so don't kill it with kindness.

I sprinkle over a moist seedbed and up they come like wheatgrass

They are delicate and mustnt dry out though good airlow is important

In nature ive seen recuitment push through the trodden down matt of fallen stalks which would mulch the rootzone and assist early growth

once they tiller transplant to tubes or small deep pots and grow on till the root mass is nicely established

Then plant into well and deeply worked soil at spacinge designed to make the clumps almost fill the gaps as they expand (inhibits weeds by competition)

mulch with lawn cliping and water in till growth starts then only once or twice a week to keep it turgid.

treated like that it thrives

if you cut for mulch youll need to feed often but weakly to keep the growth coming

them more you cut the more they tiller - like lawn and other pasture grasses

I grew this one and it grew veg over winter and flowered in summer i think, during which time i let them stay a bit dry and fairly dormant.

with the autumn rains they shot back with full force. Give them a bit if they are suffering but make it a deep infrequent water to get their roots deep

Divide by splitting clumps after 1 year or taking jointed long stems, cutting into sections and leaving in water a few weeks and theyll shoot roots out the side and growing tips

Pot these up and keep moist till they re-adapt to growing in soil.

P arundinaceae is a bit different and what a root system!! can be propagated nut nodal cuttings in water the same way.

[ 09. October 2004, 01:56: Message edited by: reville ]

I could litterally harvest tons of this stuff by end of summer and only be 5k's from home!

If it wasn't so damn hot that time of year and I wasn't so lazy

It tends to grow in shallow slow draining but damp gullies along the roadside full sun or shade and basically nothing will compete with it not even salvation jane.Some tufts can get to about 9-10 feet tall in wet shady areas.We used to take refuge in these patches as kids to escape the mid-day heat.

I'll keep an eye on the seed heads this year and wildcraft some for the seedring.

mescalito, look out for patches that have been clipped the mower, because repeated clipping is said to increase the actives in the plant, as a sort of a defence mechanism.

a sickle would be a good tool if you have to do the pruning youreselve.

if you're after australia strain seeds i think there's a place called sydney seeds that sells them at a ridiculously low price, like $5-10 for a kg sack. but i might be wrong, it was ages ago since i last grew it.

i remember that i'd scatter seeds and sprinkle a tiny bit of seed raising soil on top. i'd mist the surface then cover the pot with a clear plastic sheet and everyday wipe away the moisture that built up. in around a week prolly less they'd sprout.

Kewl! the advice is very helpfully, informative and I defintely will not be intentionally poisoning them, nor I hope accidentally either.