The Corroboree
Halcyon Daze

An unusual old antique bottle I found

This is the third such conical bottle I have found in a bottle dump in the last 10 years I still have the other two in QLD. The first two were in the ruins of a destroyed bottle collection in Charleville QLD, this one is from Tassie.

Anyway, I know they aren't valuable or anything but I'd love to know what they were actually used for. The same company (Angus & co pty ltd) also made ink bottles that were much smaller but this one seems too big to be an ink bottle and one of the others I found is actually another size larger than this one and it looks waaaaaay too big to be an ink bottle.

Any info on these interesting bottles greatly appreciated Cheers! :)

post-8867-0-82270800-1342095667_thumb.jp

ANGUS & Co bottle f.jpg

ANGUS & Co bottle f.jpg

The bottle is clear by the way, it's just blue light from some funky gaming keyboard.

I agree, it might be a top-up ink bottle. Cool find though!

Good find, I'd say its an ink bottle just because you found that angus & co also made ink bottles

I love finding old glassware, I found a faulding & co glass bottle which once contained antiseptic and a mullens cordials newcastle bottle, both were burried in the back yard, along with an old rifle casing and a few assorted bolts and things that look like they were once from a car.

I guess it could be a bottle for bulk ink, clag seems quite reasonable.

I also found a couple old Vegemite canning jars,ie tapered smooth inside walls, made from white glass, they look really old. I'll have to get a pic after I clean them up but my hand is still healing so I'm trying to avoid dirt at the moment.

It is an ink bottle, commercial size that was used in offices.

Should have an AGM stamp on the base.

EDIT- depending on the AGM configuration you will workout the age

http://www.aussiebottledigger.com.au/bottledating.html

Edited by waterboy

Thanks for that waterboy, I knew there would be an answer from somewhere in our collective SAB brain.

Well it fits into the "1932 to 1948 and used again in the 1960's" category based on the AGM stamp and so do the Vegemite jars. So that's kinda surprising.

Now to have a look through some of the others before I give them to the local historical society. thanks again!

post-8867-0-58392400-1342178344_thumb.jp

post-8867-0-07565700-1342178382_thumb.jp

P7130037c.jpg

P7130040r.jpg

P7130037c.jpg

P7130040r.jpg

No probs mate,

I am old bottle collector, but these days mostly cods (with marbles),blue glass and clays.

I find a lot of old dumps out on jobs. That looks like a classic "throw it over the bank" dump.

The best ones are found in old long drops BTW.

lol. if you're game to enter.

Lol... only if they are pre 1920's its all good then. Usually have to look for the circle of greener, higher grass around old ruins.

A good metal rod is also a handle tool for bottle hounds, can probe before committing to digging.

Edited by waterboy

In PNG our old pit toilets become our rubbish pits. I guess that would have also been the case back in the days of long-drops and glass bottles. Some long drops must be an absolute goldmine, full to the top of old treasure.