The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Shroomeup

Masters Cacti

I ended up at one of those new Masters hardware stores the other day and headed straight for the garden section to have a gander. I eventually found the cacti section where I came across these beauties.

I guess theyre from Hamiltons but ive never seen there cacti with these pots or labeling.

They had a pretty good selection there actually, much better than the old Bunnings across the road.

Anyway, heres a few pics of the new additions.

EJ8tCl.jpgwVRiBl.jpgbMhaWl.jpgGp2Nxl.jpg0qJaXl.jpgUj7oBl.jpg07yq5l.jpg3bBUAl.jpg

• Like 1

3 trich crest good on ya. looks like theres aT pasacana there too and a few pachs. I got one of those crests off them too, its originally from Hamiltons nursery.

Those crests are a steal, what did they charge? about 12 dollars?

Hey Shroomeup nice score can I ask what sort of money the crest's are selling for?

Cheers

Got

Cheers guys, yeah the crests were 12 bux each. The whole bunch was a bit over $50. Pretty stoked.

They had a bunch of other cool cacti there also which I couldnt afford at the time.

If you see another one can you grab it for me and I will pay you $25.00 for it plus postage :)

Cheers

Got

Guess it must vary from Masters store to Masters store, I went to the Gregory Hills store in Sydney's west on Thursday and was horrified over what I found. Their whole cactii bench was one crawling mess of regular and spine mealies, no way I would buy anything from there!

Snagged just one photo of the mess but it ought to tell the whole story!

IMG_0165.jpg

Bit of a shock as I've seen the plants Hamiltons select for the Masters stores and it seems to be the choice specimens, generally larger and healthier than their regular stock.

Edit: as for pots and labeling: the pot colour and labels are Masters request according to staff at Hamiltons, in their wisdom they opted to get labels without any genus or species info...just the stupid "Ye Haw" label.

Edited by Snowfella
  • Like 1

^^^Bloody hell thats shithouse Snowfella. How can they try and sell that crap. The store I went to had just opened so all the plants were in great condition.

If you see another one can you grab it for me and I will pay you $25.00 for it plus postage :)

Cheers

Got

You can have one of these ones if you want mate. Shoot me a PM and we'll sort something out.

Edited by Shroomeup

Ah the dumbing down of the Nursery industry Thankyou Woolworths and Coles. lol

I feel sorry for Hamiltons for all there success as abusiness from my experience the 2 monsters will have them well over the Barrel.

hehehe...I can't by contract say anything bad about woolies, work there and have had to sign their code of conduct that includes a clause that say they tolerate no negative comments either printed or online. :rolleyes:

But yeah, it's plain stupid to leave proper genus/species labels out of the cactii sold at masters when just about all other plants have proper labels.

Over here its bunnings swamp cacti ( cacti that are watered three times a day) . Sometimes I will wander into a store just after the received some new stock and there are more plants that are alive than dead but that is a rarity. What really amuses me is the staff don't seam to realise that a cacti that looks like a deflated ball is dead they seem to think they leave it on display it will puff back up and start growing again. :BANGHEAD2:

Shroomeup you are a legend :worship:

Cheers

Got

• Like 1

New massive hardware chain Psylo going head to head with bunnings. Home Depot in america(3rd biggest company) teamed with woolworths (wesfarmers own coles and bunnings) to open Masters.

Holy shit snowfella, thats a whole lot of mealies there. At first i thought it would be a new variety with white dots. :) Btw, i can remember about one particular case when someone reported to have found a new species of Astrophythum but after a few weeks it turned out it was similarily infected. Made him look like a Tool.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

Over here its bunnings swamp cacti ( cacti that are watered three times a day)

You should say something to the gardening guys and let them know that they are over watering their stock, esp during winter. It's not like it could hurt anyone.

I've tried that at some of my local stores and just been met with the deer in headlights look. They just have no clue and couldn't care less about their cactii stock. Bunnings is just to big and whatever they make in cactii sales is just a drop in the ocean for them. Funny enough even some dedicated nurseries around my area just couldn't care less.

This is what I found on the cactii bench at the Bonnyrigg Garden center a few weeks back, they get their shippments from Collectors Corner down in Melbourne.

IMG_0144.jpg