The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
PhoenixSon

Rooting degraft buttons?

I was wondering what was the optimal size for rooting buttons that are sliced off a graft?

ta

Can be any size, but not sure what is best, only degrafted one really good sized button as yet, as few smaller ones...

am trying around 12 from 10cm's to 20cm's size range. 20cm's will probablly take better im thinking.

wish i could graft and not kill cactus :P

20cm? Fark, they be buttons!!!

• Like 2

20cm? Fark, they be buttons!!!

lol nothing wrong with me! :shroomer: more like 2-4cm's

16 hour shift and im munted

derpa derp

• Like 1

maybe when im around 40 years old id have the fortune, to admire such a sight. if possible.

i had two grafts that i was entering in the comp, and i accidently knocked one off when it was about 6mm across.....put it slightly wedged into some 'DRY' soil for like a month, then started misting lightly once a week directly at base of it....enough to make it damp for a day or two max....it is now coming along nicely.....and has a nice little set of roots...and this was all coming into winter

• Like 2

From up to about 4cm you can get a single tap root. Above and they start throwing multiple tap roots.

• Like 1

I've degrafted a few pups this year, think the biggest had a diameter of about 2.5cm, most were between 1cm and 2cm. Below 1cm and it started to get harder to root.

I found putting them in a small pot with a mix of coco-coir and small amount of perlite to be good for rooting, not entirely sure how it would turn out in the end but it's a good mix to keep a bit of moisture but not for too long, wet the bottom every few days to encourage root formation. During summer it wouldn't take longer than a week to form roots, but I have about 4 atm that I degrafted months ago that haven't formed roots yet, or if they have they only form a little then wither away :/ Although I haven't been giving them much attention since the temperature dropped.