The Corroboree
Acacia King

Barringtonia Acutangula

There is a heap of Barringtonia Acutangula right near where I live and I am really keen to do a bit of a bio essay but I'm a little hesitant due to its use as a fish poison. I am wondering if the fish poison part is actually the opioid like active or if it is more like some acacias that have been used to poison fish (which im pretty sure some contain Cyanide).

Info on this plant seems pretty limited. Does anyone have any great insights into freshwater mangrove? I'd be really interested in learning anything anyone can share regarding this all to interesting aussie plant.

Cheers

i would say be VERY careful. koori elders from around my area have told me, very hesitantly when i asked them about it, "white men shouldn't bugger with it, you have ya own poisons to cure ya"... whether this was said on the back of the recent big pharma venture into the plant, or the fact it is indeed a very holy, very sacred plant to these people I'm not sure. But in saying that it is definatly a holy sacred plant for many koori people of whom i have crossed conversations with... i would suggest talking to some local fellas near you regarding sustainable, even ritualistic ways to harvest this plant (is there is any??), i can do this for you if you would like to PM me. but yeh, dont be afraid of the local mob, you show genuine interests and genuine passion youll be led to a wealth of knowledge regarding plants in your surrounding region.

sorry if this came off very "pro-koori" but it is their plant, and we should be asking them for this sacred information firsthand :-) :bong:

D00d

• Like 3

i've done an extract of this and am in the process of doing a series of tests for its topical pain relieving properties. First off, a tropical mosiquito bite was CURED and relieved of all pain. Secondly, a spider bite - it had no effect. Thirdly I would like to slash myself but I'm not ready for that. I'm waiting for an accident to use it.

Cheers Fellas!

Thelema.... Was the extraction from plant material you found or grew? I'm thinking about collecting come seeds and having a crack at growing some myself.

the extraction was from bark in the NT from a SAB member, a professional botanist. I've got some water extract and some acetone extract if anyine wants to do any slashing and record the effect. Just PM me.

Man that sounds slighty sociopathic.