The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
shruman

Scam Or Possibly Scamola?

Hey all, just hoping to get a hand here, Got a couple messages on ebay about people apparently getting emails from me that I did not send. Hopefully someones got a better idea of whats going on then I.

I let ebay know but they are notoriousy slow.

do I need to change email passwords?, or get a new account?

Heres one of the edited messages:

"Hello there, I have received 2 emails from *my email* regarding digital-HD-eu oppurtunity to make a commisssion on there products or something, just wanted to make sure you have actually contacted me thru my email(hotmail account) or I have been receiving spam using contacts or names associated with my paypal/ebay account account, can you let me know please if these emails and digital-hd is legit emails from *my ebay account* seller on ebay or are the emails im receiving to my hotamil account that of someone impersonating yr *my ebay account* name from ebay...Thanks."

Cheers

Can't hurt to change your password - and don't reply to the email. Scams a plenty out there... A few of the latest ones are asking people to pay money into a 'holding' account and they send you some legitimate looking email... I just ignore em.

You know, its not hard to fake the header of an email so it looks like its been sent from your account but actually wasnt. Maybe thats the case. In this case, you wouldnt need to change the password. But it would be helpful for you to get the message in question. If you should get it, i can tell you more.

Edited by Evil Genius

Hey Shruman,

I think I may have received one of those to my email under the guise of an offer of some work.

We have not had any EBAY dealings , but have had PPal.....

It didn't click until I seen this, I just delete email shit like that when it come through. Feel free to PM me if you want any further details.

WB

Edited by waterboy

this tends to happen when your hotmail/MSN messenger gets hijacked, which might be the case for anybody who clicked the link in the false email.

click the link > malicious page > hijacks their msn messenger > now messages are going out to everybody on their contacts list and address book

Edited by ThunderIdeal

Thanks for that guys, I'm still trying to figure it out but apreciate your input.