The Corroboree
mutant

Gymnocalycium thread

good thread lovin the Gymnos, one of my favourites

Alot of my flower crosses have taken mostly am using G baldianum as a male element as my two planst are just prolific bloomers and most of th eflowers crossed are white to yellow and am interested to see how much red the offspring will take on.

This morning I went and had a quick check and my ragonesei fruit has fallen off when I checked it out the fruit has split and I can see what looks like good seed. The ragonesei have been quite tricky to cross pollinate I had a lot of failure with the G baldianum as the male. This little pods daddy is a G mihanovichii filadelfiense so pretty diverse mix fingers crossed I get some germination.

DSCF2006-12.jpgldid a quick count about 50 seeds. some of the other pods are much bigger so I'm hoping for a 100 or more in them.

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 1

Well Done mate!! :lol:

• Like 1

Got the Gymno pollen today Moses and put alot of it to good use on this flowering Gymnocalycium buenekeri

DSCF2001-22.jpg

DSCF2002-25.jpg

• Like 2

Gymnocalycium guerkeanum

DSCF2002-19.jpg

DSCF2001-24.jpg

Also planted out some of hybrid crosses fingers crossed I get some germination.

G netrelianum x G baldianum

G paraguayense-fleischerianum x G baldianum

G ragonesei x G stenogonum

I figure I will see how germination goes and then try and graft a few as I have ADHD lol.

• Like 2

Nice work Stillman, your going to have Gymno seeds everywhere soon :lol: .

Here is the two G. buenekeri I dug out of that garden a few day ago, there a bit banged up & I would imagine they would be quite old, the biggest one is 13cm across.

post-11291-0-43513800-1354424085_thumb.j post-11291-0-79206500-1354424129_thumb.j

Does anyone know how big G.buenekeri are suppose to get?

post-11291-0-43513800-1354424085_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-79206500-1354424129_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-43513800-1354424085_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-79206500-1354424129_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thats a beast. I'll have a google around and see how big they get, feed it up an see if you get some flower buds.

• Like 1

Hello Everyone... Here are mine! 1st Post

Gymnocalycium Buenekeri Variegated ??

Gymnocalycium%20buenekeri%20variegated.JPG

Gymnocalycium Buenekeri??

Gymnocalycium%20buenekeri.JPG

Gymnocalycium Mihanovichii (Maybe?)

Gymnocalycium%20mihanovichii.JPG

What is your guy's soil mix? I am looking to pot them out of my typical starter mix which is 20% Pro-Mix (peat based) 80% Perlite.

Edited by Trimmeh
  • Like 3

^^Nice first post Trimmeh, I love the variegated Gymno :) .

I'm no expert & I'm sure there are better mixes but I use 50% professional cacti mix & 50% washed perlite. I use this mix for most my cactus & it seems well, the only exception is with my little Mexicans (Arios, Lophs etc..), for these I don't like to use anything peat based (more mineralistic soil eg rock, limestone, gravel, perlite etc..)

Good luck with your gardening mate & keep posting pics of your plants for us to look at. :wink:

Here is a little G. friedichii I got the other week

post-11291-0-55379300-1356654267_thumb.j post-11291-0-59439000-1356654331_thumb.j

I got this plant from an old man who was very involved in a cacti society & I'm pretty confident on his Id. I have been reading up on this cactus & there seems to be a lot of talk about Friedrichii, Mihanovichii & Stenopleurum been very similar, maybe the same But the most up to date info I have come across says the flowers will be the answer. It says G. mihanovichii: brown/yellow. G. friedrichii: pink. G. stenopleurum: white.

I would be very keen to here what the members here have to say about this.

Cheers

jox

post-11291-0-55379300-1356654267_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-59439000-1356654331_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-55379300-1356654267_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-59439000-1356654331_thumb.jpg

looks like a friedrichii

G. mihanovichii and G. friedrichii usually have pink ish flowers pink. Some cv have solf petels some have hard waxy ones, I think there may be a far bit of G damsii genetics mixed up in what is found commercially too.

Gymnocalycium mihanovichii var. stenogonum has the hard non opening yellow/ green flower.

I may have already posted this but its a good tool.

http://cactusbiblio.free.fr/Putnam/Putnam_Gymno.pdf

Also I think I may have a couple bags of hybrid seed to give away. I'll get back to you after I plant out a few and do a number count.

G guerkeanum x G baldianum

G Horstii x G baldianum

OK seed give away

1 x G guerkeanum (yellow flower pic of mother above) x G baldianum 15 seeds.

3 x G Horstii x G baldianum 15 to 20 seeds each.

EDit Good germination from these seeds.

Just making a disclaimer, I haven't tested germination so not sure if they will be viable but they have been taken from fresh pods that were fully ripened, I just put down a container of each so will know within the week if they are duds.

Edited by Stillman

Heres some shitty photos of some hybrids seedlings grafted to peres. Have a bout 15 to 20 of each grafted just starting to show some growth.

G ragonesei x G mihanovichii filadelfiense This cross I think is going to be interesting. These are two very different Gymnos Not sure what the offspring will look like at all. This is a shot of the father in flower

DSCF2232.jpg

and a fuzzy pic of the offspring.

DSCF2002_zpsc39cc9d7.jpg

G paraguayense-fleischerianum x G baldianum (pretty sure this crossed I can't find any documentation that these guys are self fertile)

DSCF2001-1_zpsd3876d36.jpg

• Like 1

Here are my three gymnos, they have always been something i overlooked when purchasing cacti but this thread has kindled a new flame for me.

I have had these two for ages, but they were neglected in silly little pots. After a repot and a bit of attention, they are looking a bit healthier.

Not sure of the names though... their labels only said "Gymnocalcuim species"

post-8023-0-34778500-1357959273_thumb.jp

And my buddy gave me this hot pink fellow for my birthday, i think its a Gymnocalycium Mihanovichii

IMG_2360.JPG

IMG_2360.JPG

Just noticed some fun action on a G. baldianum that lost it's growth point during winter and had a fungal attack not long afterwards.

DSC00204-2.jpg

She's cresting alright! :wub:

DSC00205-2.jpg

• Like 3

Wow! I hope that stays funky for ya.

Not sure of ID but heres a new one

gymnocalycium ragonesei with bud about to open

post-8023-0-54888800-1358990158_thumb.jp

IMG_2444.JPG

IMG_2444.JPG

G ragonesei is one of my favourites. Really pretty very symmetrical heavy flowering once it gets going. I keep them in similar conditions to Astros, as I find they are prone to rot compared to most Gymnos which I can nearly keep under water.

• Like 1

G ragonesei x G mihanovichii filadelfiense seedlings are showing interesting variation

DSCF2006_zpsb4dac77f.jpg

DSCF2008-1_zps58e15453.jpg

G paraguayense-fleischerianum x G baldianum Got some wicked growth on this one.

DSCF2011_zpsa2862705.jpg

Few more crosses have been grafted and taken but not looking like much yet.

• Like 3

nice , nice every one.

stillman, very cool job with the crosses! looking forward to see what happens next!

ragonesii seems to be a cult fave for most, despite the challenge in its cultivation

• Like 1

I have about 20 or so of those ragonesii hybrids grafted they all look pretty good, one was either chewed by a bug or split but is carrying on. I'm hoping for green/ yellow flowers from this cross. but only time will tell.

I love this thread.

My Mihanovichii, which was one of the very first cacti I owned, has flowered wonderfully this year for the first time, it's put out 4 so far and there's another bud starting to form.

IMAG0178_zps6515d85a.jpg

The question i have is, are they self-fertile? I got some seeds from the latest flower, there was no other flowers open at the same time on any of my collection and I can't see anything that really looks like a stigma. I don't really know too much about pollination, I was hoping to get some answers from you guys.

some are self fertile. some are self fertile but produce sterile seed. My baldianum sets seed if I mess with the flower but if I don't it won't.