The Corroboree
mutant

Gymnocalycium thread

I have some gymnos but only these two have flowered so far. I have a g. mihanovichii and a g. rotundum that flower regularly. I have nicely growing g. albiareolatum, g. horstii and g. baldanium but no flowers yet on these. :wink:

post-11569-0-25780000-1345613449_thumb.j

post-11569-0-45376100-1345613474_thumb.j

post-11569-0-25780000-1345613449_thumb.jpg

post-11569-0-45376100-1345613474_thumb.jpg

post-11569-0-25780000-1345613449_thumb.jpg

post-11569-0-45376100-1345613474_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Oh yea i had a ragonesii but it rotted along with a A. asterias. When i started watering them to bring out of domancy they rejected the water. Im thinking i gave them too much water and maybe should have used a mister a few times to get the roots awoken.

cheers to all Gymnocalicium fans!

Paisano, yep that happens when you water early sometimes. It pays to kill some plants though, to see how it works and what risks come from being hasty or mindless with the watering. I know I have 'killed' several in almost every possible way.

Its a good idea to try to resist early waterings, especially to those you have brought out from dormancy / protection from winter rains, especially to plants that are sensitive like A.capricorn, A asterias , Gymnos, you name it .

The same is for freshly potted bare rooted plants. I even managed to rot some freshly rooted columnars [Pilosocereus, T.bridgesii {!!}] from being hasty with watering.

yep that's it Stillman, G.ragonesei , thanks, and from what I read in cactus-art it is a synonym with obductum

I am also noticing that my hybrid that I called gibbosum could also be occultum, and thats what the first guess was occultum X ???? hybrid.

cheers

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

Great link Stillman :worship:

I new there were a lot of Gymnocalicium's but wow I am going to need more room as there are still so many I don't have.

Cheers

Got

Edited by GoOnThen

nice ID link! The gymnocalycium uebelmaniunum foto is very good. What a nice specimen!

Awesome shots...

With the gymnos - has anyone else noticed that they change colour when given full sun exposure? Mine have tended towards the more yellow colour than the ones without full sun.

Will post some pics of my gymnos tomorrow to show you what i mean

Edited by trichpach

Not the rarest Gymno going (bunnings mass produced plant) but an excellent example of their vigour, one of my favourites, I really like the purple blacks, this one actually gets alot of green in the new growth and so after this summer I will try and root the bulk of those offsets. Looks like I have two seed pods forming there too. I've got a feeling they are "selfed" as I have this plant in a little hot house by its self with no other Gymnos, will be a grafting job when it finally splits.. And plenty of flowers coming might do some hybridising with it, I think there is a baldianum in bud so might line up hopefully. Will update the photo when it blooms.

DSCF2238.jpg

DSCF2236.jpg

DSCF2235-1.jpg

• Like 3

What vigor? Its only gonna get what, 40 flowers :P

I love seeing your pics mate, keep em coming!!

• Like 1

Bought three little Gymnocalycium Quehlianum for $4.50off ebay which was cool :) getting some more soon thought i took some photos but evidently not will do so tomorrow.

Some brilliant pictures here have inspired me to try and aquire a few more.

• Like 2

Here are some pictures, not the clearest but taken in semi-dark conditions so came out ok

Gymnocalycium Quehlianum

post-6528-0-37108300-1346460163_thumb.jp

Not sure if this is a Gymno but it sure looks similar, purchased for $3 at the markets with heaps of large pups in the second picture

post-6528-0-22053600-1346460230_thumb.jp

post-6528-0-61137800-1346460321_thumb.jp

Finally this one is very similar to the above and most likely the same thing. Found at bunnings in a 20c piece sized pot for $5 back when i was prepared to let them rip me off.

post-6528-0-79063900-1346460418_thumb.jp

post-6528-0-37108300-1346460163_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-22053600-1346460230_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-61137800-1346460321_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-79063900-1346460418_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-37108300-1346460163_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-22053600-1346460230_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-61137800-1346460321_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-79063900-1346460418_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure if that bottom one is a Gymno could be a type of Matucana? Not sure nice plant but. the second one is probably a part of the G damsi / anisitsii group or could be G denadatum.

• Like 1

OK well I am starting to organise a little hybridising project. aiming for interesting flowers.

Heres what will be first off the bat.

G ragonesei will feature as as a mother predominantly, the flowers are very "silky" creamy white colour, prolific and very large flowers for the size of the plant. I also really like the shape of the plant too.

DSCF2339.jpg

G baldianum because they are prolific, have really beautiful deep red flowers and quick growers. I have two in flower at the moment one is showing some very unusual growth so will be using both for pollen.

DSCF2342-1.jpg

DSCF2344.jpg

and will have to use this little fella as he/ she just wants to propogate. Will make for an interesting offspring if crossed with ragonesei

DSCF2348-1.jpg

As others start to flower I'll organise my self.

• Like 6

hey thats a spiny baldianum alright. most of mine are rather more comby in spine arrangement and shorter

good luck with the project!

The flowers are opening the fist cross looks very likely to be in with a chance, if timing is anything. Will attempt a cross both ways. Anyone got any good technique tips? Was going to have a go with a fine paintbrush and then maybe a cotton tip.

DSCF2374_zps020475f0.jpg

DSCF2376_zps957f7136.jpg

• Like 3

when i pollinated my coloured gyms i used tweezers to actually remove some stamens of one plant and brushed them over the pistil of the other.

• Like 2

OK today is day one operation molest Gymno flowers lol It wasn't pretty, I have very poor technique lol

DSCF2398_zps92f83cda.jpg

DSCF2399_zps9be15e90.jpg

The G ragonesei went mad and all the flowers pretty much opened today. So this whole plant I will try and cross with the G mihanovichii "rubra" as nothing else is ready. I have another ragonesei that looks like will be flowering with the baldianums so that will be interesting. This "rubra"doesn't exhibit the brightest flower but has some excellent pink and purple in it so a cross of the two should produce a couple interesting plants. The rubra pollen hasn't really come in today that well but hopefully it will before the ragonesei flowers are exhausted. Will keep you posted.

• Like 4

G baldianum in flower

will save some pollen to see if I can create any interesting Hybrids. I believe these to be self pollinating but apparently not always?

DSCF2002-16.jpg

• Like 3

Had my first Gymno of the season in bloom today when I got home from work, mostly all other's are starting to push out buds but they are days/weeks behind this little guy.

G. bruchii var niveaum

DSC00158-1.jpg

Not an impressive flush by any means but I'm just pleasantly suprised it's still alive, flowered once last spring and then just sat there grumpily all through summer without doing a thing.

• Like 4

looks like the ragonesi flower cross was a failure. But plenty more flowers coming on. I have 3 pollinated G. baldianum flowers that look like they may develop fruit. They are either selfed or pollinated with another baldianum when I was trying to stash pollen, so might have some true seeds of the species to offer up later in the year.

Bit of a headscratcher trying to figure out what this little G. baldianum is trying to do, think the growth point died late last season and it started pushing out some new pups from the top. One of them terminated and started a second weird pup ontop, hopefully it will turn into something weird :lol:

DSC00179-1.jpg

Edited by Snowfella
  • Like 3

Gymnocalycium paraguayense-fleischerianum in flower.

DSCF2007-6.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Snowfella, i have plants that do exactly that (including the brown colorations) and its some kind of fungal infection. Its not greatly infective but it doesnt go away either. At least not for me. bye Eg

It was a rescue plant bought from a market stall with a badly burnt apex, started growing out of the sunburn but then all of a sudden it started pupping.

Now it's even looking like it's terminated again and throwing new pups all over again.