The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
at0m

DIY pipes

*Note: Any pipe or concept of a pipe referenced within is intended for use only with tobacco & legal smoking herbs.

Have any of you made your own (preferably wooden) pipes? Any advice?

I'm after something far more personal than the mass produced pipes found in online/offline stores. I'm feeling a bit inspired and have a few ideas flowing. I'm thinking something along the lines of a Native American wooden Calumet. Detachable bowl (allowing for multiple sizes and styles to be swapped at will), wound and bound in leather, etc.

The issue is... I have no idea where to start.

What wood should be used (toxicity, taste, flammability)?

Import laws & fees on small bits of timber?

What tools will be required beyond the obvious (sand paper, whittling knife)?

I may be able to find a few suitable rocks (softer) in my travels at0m if you are looking at a traditionally styled calumet. I will keep my eyes open when out in the field if you like. I am a "rockhound"...lol

Could make a few bowl types to attach to the pipestem, will also allow a larger range of timbers to be used.

Can't beat bamboo though...Have made a few with stone bowls for mates as gifts using blue-lace agates,petrified manfern and one from a large piece of darwin glass (http://en.wikipedia....ki/Darwin_glass ) for some stunning tobacco pipes with great aesthetic appeal.

If you were to look at this avenue, a Dremel rotary would be the shit (http://www.dremel.co...es/default.aspx) - also good for woodwork due to a range of mini tools that can be used. (I love my Dremel).

If you are a good lad at0m I might make you a special one for xmas :wink:

Edited by waterboy

Havent really started on anything myself bt my partner is making me a nice wee one tear drop shaped pipe out of an old bowling ball with some agate set into it. Will take a pic in the weekend.

A mate of mine who is a professional carver makes some phenomenal pipes. I can post a couple pictures if u wud like? Very inspiring work.

I'd go for hardwood and something native to your country wud be nice.

I may be able to find a few suitable rocks (softer) in my travels at0m if you are looking at a traditionally styled calumet. I will keep my eyes open when out in the field if you like. I am a "rockhound"...lol

Could make a few bowl types to attach to the pipestem, will also allow a larger range of timbers to be used.

If you could find some awesome little rocks to make a bowl or two that'd be awesome. Happy to pay for them + postage. Just bare in mind, I'm pretty new to this so nothing super valuable, rare or easily fuckup-able :P

I'm thinking down the lines of a wooden stem and interchangeable bowls which could be made from anything from rock to antler to metal.

Super simple example of what I'm thinking stem-wise.

If you were to look at this avenue, a Dremel rotary would be the shit (http://www.dremel.co...es/default.aspx) - also good for woodwork due to a range of mini tools that can be used. (I love my Dremel).

A dremel has been on my "would be awesome to have" list for quite awhile :P

If you are a good lad at0m I might make you a special one for xmas :wink:

I'm always good :innocent_n:

Havent really started on anything myself bt my partner is making me a nice wee one tear drop shaped pipe out of an old bowling ball with some agate set into it. Will take a pic in the weekend.

That sounds awesome. I'd love to see how it looks

A mate of mine who is a professional carver makes some phenomenal pipes. I can post a couple pictures if u wud like? Very inspiring work.

Definitely down for some extra inspiration/things to ogle :P

I'd go for hardwood and something native to your country wud be nice.

I'd love native hardwoods but I honestly don't know much about woodcraft. Taste alterations, health issues, etc

Happy to squirrel away some rock as I find it at0m - rocks should be for free mate - but may hit you up for a bit of postage

when I acquire a few you may be interested in .

Will also look over some siltsone samples I have kicking about from old rock cores we discard after a while - they may be a bit fractured for finer carving though. Some others we have are just too hard to work (other than making unique drink coasters).

I am sure you are always good :wink:

I have a very small antler from a fallow deer in my shed, not meaty enough for a knife handle - but if you want to play with it at0m

its yours (can send ya a pic).

As an aside and since I had camera out at0m this may interest you, been a fairly ongoing project : the stone is serpentinite and the timber in huon pine.

I usually work on it when I am feeling a bit down, it is good therapy.

DSCF7192.jpg

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 3

The old boilermakers chalk cone is legendary.

I had one that I made out a piece of it that was too small to seal properly in a garden hose, so I used to wrap it in tally ho papers to fill the gap and seal it up.

I did it one night at a party and no-one saw me with the actual chalk cone so they all assumed that I'd fashioned a cone out of tally ho's.

I couldn't understand all the contemptuous looks I was getting as I finished it off and we started smoking out of it. The looks all turned to amazement after a few cones had gone through it.

I had people coming up to me asking me why a cone made out of paper didn't burn for over a year. I told them it wasn't paper but some people insisted that it was and they saw me do it.

• Like 1

Here is the wee one my partner is making for me,

not very pipe like yet, but its pretty.

Edited by bogfrog
  • Like 2

sorry it took so long but here is a picture of my partner's tobacco pipe,

made by dunedin carver, Dave Mann

• Like 2