The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Aussie native morning glories

I'm trying to figure out what Ipomoea species are native to australia. Sofar I have these on my list:

Ipomoea argillicola

Ipomoea costata

Ipomoea diamantinensis

Ipomoea graminea

Ipomoea muelleri

Ipomoea plebeia

So what ones did I miss?

Hey Torsten,

Have you thought of selling more aussie native ipomoeas? Having that option might encourage people to grow natives instead of foreign species.

[ 06. December 2003, 16:32: Message edited by: Auxin ]

:cool:

[ 06. December 2003, 16:33: Message edited by: Auxin ]

Skulking Lurker:

I. pes-caprae ssp brasiliensis....."Goats-foot Morning Glory"  ???

Is that a native?

I did see Ipomoea pes-tigridis and it is an aussie native.

I really don't know much about any of them, but given my interest in the diamantina area (and its ethnobotany) I would have to say I.diamantinensis intrigues me greatly and I would love to grow it.

Have never really tried sourcing many australian Ipomoea. The one I am really after is Stictocardia tilliaefolium... or any other species of the genus.

t

I.abrupta

I.brasiliensis syn= I.pes-caprae ssp brasiliensis

I.gracilis

I.velutina

I. mauritiana syn= I.paniclate

the true pes-caprae is not a native but i think the brasiliensis is.

also old Ipomoea

Merremia tridentata syn=I angustifolia

Operdina turpethum syn= I. terpethum

i'm sure there are more!!

I have had reasonable success growing I muellerii and I pes-caprae ssp brasiliensis from seed. Treat as you would most MG species by chipping off the end of the seed and soaking overnight in luke warm water. There should be signs of life the next day. Then grow out in something coarse and free draining. I've recently started accelerating MG propagation by sowing in a layer of coarse sharp sand (about 1 cm) above potting mix (premium of course) in one of those 64 cell packs. Seems to be working well despite all the theoretical limitations of pathogenic fungi etc contained in the potting mix.

I've tried growing I costata, becoming interested after reading that it produces a large edible tuber up to 90cm in diameter but unfortunately no luck with germination. Wouldn't it be interesting if you could somehow cross these tuber producing specimens with the alkaloid rich relatives of the convulvualcaea eg HBWR and direct all the alkaloids into the tuber, sort of like a botanical philosopher's stone. Perhaps the sweet potato of commerce I batatas would lend itself well to such an application.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/46/2/282