The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Halcyon Daze

starting a community forum

Some friends and I would like to start an online forum for our community group, to aid communication and help share information among us, but we aren't really computer people, so I'm just wondering how one goes about building one from scratch.

I guess it would be a lot smaller than the Corroboree, more like the size of the Australian cactus forum or even smaller than that.

So, how do you design it, where is all the information 'Stored' and What are the costs involved in keeping it running? etc etc etc

I know nothing about what goes on behind the scenes here at the Corroboree lol.

Cheers!

Edited by Halcyon Daze

It's a small, community, conservation group with about 1000 members.

Edited by Halcyon Daze

setting up a forum these days is not overly complictaed.

most web hosting companies have the software available, and you just need to click a web link in your web hosting account to run a script that automates the whole process, and installs a version into you hosting account.

you click and fill the in the form, like admin username and password and your done.

You dont even really need to design anymore, there are plenty of designs available for free that can be loaded to personalise your forum.

i have a preference for phpbb as its open source and can be modified heavily. other forum software can be purchased, these have many amazing and powefrul features that software like phpbb dont have.

look out for security issues though, as there are many script kiddies who love to scan sites looking for vulnerabilites, turning your forum into a spam robot.

Not sure what your time frame is, but i could be of help in a couple of weeks to help if you want. or just pm me for advice.

Cheers, Obtuse.

• Like 2

when you get it up pm me a link.

Edited by Stillman

cheers Obtuse, that's great!

Cheers Dood too!

Cheers everyone!

Edited by Halcyon Daze