The Corroboree
whitewind

Should I watch The Dictator?

Should I watch The Dictator?  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I keep getting the urge to watch this movie, but my conscience is pricking me, asking weird questions such as:

Was it made in an environmentally friendly manner?

post-4660-0-60290600-1337556344_thumb.jp

Is it cool to make fun of dictators, or should we take them seriously?

post-4660-0-77796600-1337556330_thumb.jp

Is my money and time better spent on relaxing herbs?

post-4660-0-60772900-1337556375_thumb.jp

Is Sacha Baron Cohen racist and picks Arabs as a subject too frequently to be comfortable with?

post-4660-0-76422200-1337556463_thumb.jp

Is Sacha Baron Cohen really all that funny?

post-4660-0-83786100-1337556358_thumb.jp

post-4660-0-77796600-1337556330_thumb.jpg

post-4660-0-60290600-1337556344_thumb.jpg

post-4660-0-83786100-1337556358_thumb.jpg

post-4660-0-60772900-1337556375_thumb.jpg

post-4660-0-76422200-1337556463_thumb.jpg

post-4660-0-77796600-1337556330_thumb.jpg

post-4660-0-60290600-1337556344_thumb.jpg

post-4660-0-83786100-1337556358_thumb.jpg

post-4660-0-60772900-1337556375_thumb.jpg

post-4660-0-76422200-1337556463_thumb.jpg

Edited by whitewind

nah

• Like 1

nah

You could vote to tell me why!

I found Ali G hilarious at the time, but didn't enjoy Bruno and thought Borat a bit too stereotyped to be funny, I also can't stand this type of humour after about 30 minutes so the movies I find a bit drawn out.

I also think he's a biot self-obsessed, a real star full of self-promotion without any real causes to be attacking - apart from attacking culture and stereotypes, which I guess is a good thing.

The Dictator is showing now, has anyone seen it yet to give a review?

i think it looks like a step up from bruno, borat i found interesting mainly as character development continuing from the Ali g series. i think Sacha baron cohen can be very funny at times, his character in 'taledega nights' was pretty funny, and french. at least his flavour of satire does also insult 'white' cultures/people. i'll probably give it a shot at some point

edit: spelling

Edited by dionysus

I remember the Ali G show when it was first on in the UK. The Borat skits made me laugh so hard I thought I was going to die. I think the first time I saw it, when a workmate showed me, I literally pissed myself. They reminded me so much of my Eastern European parents and relatives. It was so anarchic and brilliant. And then he did the US series, which was ok. And the Borat movie didn't work. And the Bruno movie was no good at all. And this one, from the advertising, looks forced and tired already. And yes, there seems to be a nastier, less political and more offensive edge to this caricature than his previous incarnations.

I'm not going to see it.

What's with the environmentally conscious angle? What is it in the movie that's not eco-friendly?

What's with the environmentally conscious angle? What is it in the movie that's not eco-friendly?

That's just me. I try to ask this question before undertaking anything, really. It's probably a bit obsessive by most people's standards, but in this day and age of massive environmental destruction I don't think it's unreasonable. My thinking is that movies generally are environmentally destructive, from the nature of the amount of money that goes in to production (where is it all going?) and jetsetting around the world for promotion and filming, to the amount made by the stars and companies involved, to the fact that I probably have to hop in to my car to get to the nearest cinema. I know a few people involved in this industry, and I know the environment doesn't count in their philosophy much, so I generally avoid going to movies unless they are very good.

Which is probably the main reason why I probably won't go to see The Dictator, actually ;)

That's just me. I try to ask this question before undertaking anything, really. It's probably a bit obsessive by most people's standards, but in this day and age of massive environmental destruction I don't think it's unreasonable. My thinking is that movies generally are environmentally destructive, from the nature of the amount of money that goes in to production (where is it all going?) and jetsetting around the world for promotion and filming, to the amount made by the stars and companies involved, to the fact that I probably have to hop in to my car to get to the nearest cinema. I know a few people involved in this industry, and I know the environment doesn't count in their philosophy much, so I generally avoid going to movies unless they are very good.

Which is probably the main reason why I probably won't go to see The Dictator, actually ;)

Good man. Sounds like a reasonable approach to life to me.

I remember the Ali G show when it was first on in the UK. The Borat skits made me laugh so hard I thought I was going to die. I think the first time I saw it, when a workmate showed me, I literally pissed myself. They reminded me so much of my Eastern European parents and relatives. It was so anarchic and brilliant. And then he did the US series, which was ok. And the Borat movie didn't work. And the Bruno movie was no good at all.

Totally agree.

When Ali G first came on i found it genuinely funny, but Borat just left me cold.

From reviews i believe this film is a more scripted effort w/less ov the "take this piss out ov the locals by exposing their prejudices" type situation humour.

That has to be a good move as it was getting tierd.

Yeah have to agree with others that liked the show and not the movies.

I really like the Bruno and Borat segments in Da Ali G show but I thought the Ali G character was boring, just Cohen acting a dumb hip hop kid from what I saw.

I think Bruno and Borat were a lot deeper than some people saw, in terms of poking fun at hypocrisy and life in the West.

I will give The Dictator a watch but my expectations are low.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dssyfsUDOAQ

All that cheese..

Edit: Marcel, I know what you mean, he says stuff i recognize in Polish :)

Edited by centipede
  • Like 1