The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
naja naja

Me doing a happy dance

So finally, after nearly 2 years in the ground, she is up to 8-9ft tall with 3 main trunks all the same height. I've had to pick it heavily to stop more. Today I notice that 2 of the 3 main leaders is starting to flower and flower quite heavily. These are my first ever khat flowers and hopefully my first khat seeds. I'm just so stoked I had to tell u all. And I'll be giving the majority of the seeds away. They'll be PH F2's I guess. There no other khat varieties flowering in the vicinity.

Peace

Naja

• Like 7

Ow, i was expecting a YouTube clip of you actually dancing naja naja , , , but not too disappointed now, as i feel your joy :) .

Yay for naja's Khat flowers !!!

:)

• Like 2

hahaha thats was my first thought when seeing the thread title haha :)

nice one naja

i recently obtained myself a small khat plant wich i hope to plant in the ground sometime

great to know it got that big and is flowering after just 2 years in the ground

i can imagine you would be very excited

i'd love to grab a few seeds off ya when theyre ready :)

it would still be cool to see a vid ov naja dancing in front ov some khat flowers....any chance? :innocent_n:

• Like 4

wow congrats man, very cool, lets see some pics!!

"Hmmmm, someone dancing..."

<clicks>

"....Where's the video?... :( "

But congratulations on getting flowers. I hope those plants grow well and prosper. :)

Narow Leaf must have gotten jealous of all the extra attention the PH is getting, found a few flowers on her too yesterday, hopefully more to come. I'll try and get a pic up when the flowers open.

• Like 2

I'll try and get a pic up when the flowers open.

Cool.

Video to follow? :innocent_n:

gallery_1045_486_1076998.jpggallery_1045_486_927895.jpggallery_1045_486_468128.jpggallery_1045_486_509719.jpg

Edited by naja naja
  • Like 6

Hey the wind power ad is back ( & so is the sex ad).

Nice pix Naja. :drool2: Can you remind me what the main differences are to distinguish it from the narrow leaf?

Cheers!

Edited by Halcyon Daze

It grows alot faster (hybrid vigour), looks like vienna white for the most part, but has turned all narrow looking for flower time. Stems are sturdier, leaves, even when narrow are still broader by comparison. Red new shoots with broad leaves. I'll take some comparison shots.

Green Strain bottom left, oh and just noticed, a maidenii in background :P

gallery_1045_486_865807.jpg

Edited by naja naja

You oughta be congratulated!

Is that a raspberry???

silvanberry, close or half right I guess, a raspberry hybrid. Lower chill requirement and an awesome taste!

You have a cool garden indeed.

• Like 2

I just went back through some old photos of mine to see when my red and a mates flowered and the photos are dated September. I have been thinking about this since you first started this thread as I remember it being summer when it was setting seed.

So do you know whether the parent plants flower in winter or if this is could be a case of this hybrid doing this.

Nice to see some bigger catha plants planted in the ground and flowering.

Good stuff mate :)

Cheers

Got

Hehe, yeah. A little plant in a pot really doesn't provide too much prunings for the compost heap. And they grow so fast. I certainly wasn't expecting the plant to flower in winter. I had asked the breeder if he knew when the plants flowered as I was getting impatient and just wanted to know if I had to wait till next spring until I should expect to see flowers, this was his reply

"i'm not sure, they seem to flower twice a year, but only if there was rain.

i never wrotte down when they flowered.

in a nut shell at my place they flower and set fruit irregulary."

But u have to remember that I live on the opposite side of the country to where this hybrid and it's parents were grown. Most double yearly flowering plants seem to be photoperiodic plants and I'd expect flowers when light periods reach ~12/12. And then we have to take a look at where these plants evolved. From what I can see, it looks damn near the equator. My friend who grew up near the equator describes another common plant in Australia well known and utilized for it's 12/12 photoperiod reactivity. They are usually treated as a seasonal crop and harvested when they are flowering, if they are not harvested they would simply die. ocassional plants have been known to regrow from winter to summer, but I have never heard of one going from summer to winter. But near the equator, my mate says that they grow for several years, half the plant in flower, half the plant in grow. Not usual for the whole plant to flower then die in 1 year. Taken thsi as an example, u can see one main leader in flower, one other has a few flowers on it and the other is flowerless.

peace

Naja Naja...beautiful plant indeed, but we all still want a vid of you doing a jig in front of it? :D

Good to hear they go off in the ground. Just planted a couple of reds and narrows out so we will see how they go..

Would love to get green.vienna white, and PH F1 ...willing to pay or trade if anyone has seed or cuts?

I can sort u for a green, can any1 sort me for a vienna white? It's the only one I don't have in my collection. Although, most excitingly are these F2 seedlings. The diversy they ave shown from the other flowerings/seedlings are quite broad. So I don't think it'll take long before a few select clones can be chosen and then we need to make sure we keep on breeding, creating a nice diverse X section within Australia.

Same plant less than 2 years ago. Notice the same peruvianus to the right.gallery_1045_486_538773.jpg

• Like 1

holy shit, that really did take off.

I have a PH catha in the ground but it is growing fairly slow, what sort of soil is yours in naja and did you do anything to the site before you planted it out or just loosen it up when digging?

It's mainly yellow sand with limestone rubble sparesley mixed through. I just dug a hole, but a bit of blended manure and a bit of potting mix in the hole and planted. Fertilized initially with dynamiclifter, but now super growth pellets, watered with seaweed solution regularly, powerfeed and gogo juice. Maybe some seamungus and sudden impact aswell. Oh and blood and bone. But I don't use that anymore either, the supergrowth has it in it.

Edited by naja naja

I urinate regularly on the cacti near it aswell. The bamboo seems to appreciate the ferts also

That was bare soil and weeds 2 years ago. except 3 poor looking bamboo.

Now gallery_1045_486_313262.jpg

Edited by naja naja
  • Like 2

ok scratch the happy dance vids, one ov you gingerly urinating on a cactus is all i wanna see :)