The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Seldom

Acacia ID

Question

wandering about out of town here i've come across what i think is a cultivated Acacia Alpina near an abandoned house

wsk561.jpg

it's from a specimen i'd guess to be ~ 5-6 yrs old, if it is alpina it makes me wish i nabbed a few of the phlebophylla seed that were going around a while ago as this would be evidence it probly can survive up in these parts, we also get good numbers of other fairly close phleb relatives such as longissima and floribunda.. would be interesting to hear what you guys think

3 answers to this question

Flower spikes are way to long & look like they will be ball flowers not spikes, phyllodes are far to sharp alpina should be much more blunt.

I think Phleb would do well here. We might even have our own Phleb aready out there, if you know where to look ;)

Its a beautiful looking plant i think its Acacia cultriformis (Knife-leaf wattle). Natural distribution is on ridges of western slopes, tablelands & plains of NSW & into Inglewood-Stanthorpe regions of southern QLD, through cultivation their now found from Tassie to n/e QLD.