The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
OPP

Two identical cacti, different growth rates

Got given these two cacti at a meet in January. Since then they have been kept together in the same locations. Started out in a partly shaded area then moved to the back yard for about 6 hours direct sunlight each day. The strange thing is that one of them is twice as big as the other and is far healthier.

The one at the back was originally at the front so I swapped them around in case it was blocking some of the sun.

They have had the same amounts of water.

The smaller one has barely grown.

Could it just be that one is a slower grower than the other?

post-7703-0-26725700-1335700655_thumb.jp

post-7703-0-26725700-1335700655_thumb.jpg

post-7703-0-26725700-1335700655_thumb.jpg

Looks to be variegated. Probably a severe nitrogen deficiency though.

Both cactii looked the one at the front when I first got them. Repotted in the same soil. Since then the one behind has turned dark green and doubled in size.

What is a good source of Nitrogen?

Edited by OPP

Looks very unhealthy. You could use Fertilizer, fishoil, cow poo, guano and and and.

cow poo makes everything better, I think EG is trying to say shit on it :P

Yeah what EG said ^^^^^

Have a look at the N.P.K ratio on the back of some fert packets. You want one that is balanced or has a higher N ratio. I would recommend something water soluble at this stage. Slow release is no good at this point, you need a quick fix. Overdoing slow release at this point wouldn't be worth it IMO, what with the winter months fast approaching. That cactus need a dose of N right now

EDIT: Cow manure is slow release RF..

Edited by tonic
  • Like 2

There are so many good life lessons to be learned from your two cacti, none of which are apt to my clumsy words. :)

Personally, i would strongly advise against any and all forms of manure. For starters, you have no clue what the animal was fed or what steroids were injected. Putting it bluntly, it's a crap shoot. :wink:

My recommendation is a balance time release pellet mixed in with the soil or on the top for each plant. I use something like Osmocote 14-14-14 with excellent results.

• Like 1

Urination?

EDIT: Provided YOUR not on steroids yourself, and you dont eat anything that you wouldnt eat again in the form of a cacti!

Edited by 2Deep2Handle

Just gave it a soak with some fish emulsion which has N at 30g/L.

• Like 1

See how she looks in about a fortnight. You should hopefully see some greening up of the epidermis. Can take a little while. Then probably a good idea to dose again. Depending on how warm and sunny your locality is. You will probably want to hold of after the next feed till next season. This, again, will depend on your locality and climate.

Root mealy bugs.

I usually see em on non columnar cacti but wouldn't be surprised to see them on Trichos..