The Corroboree

Hello everyone,

Thought I better introduce myself, as it is the most polite thing to do! :)

Well, I'm Rumple, have been reading on this forum and a few other's for a while now and thought it was finally time to join in on the fun and hopefully share some knowledge but by the look's of thing's I will be learning alot more! Seems like the people here seriously know their stuff..

When it comes to the garden I am freakishly passionate about it, Cacti are my main focus but also grow many other plants, plenty of ethno orientated plants as well as a crap load of chilli's which is strange because I'm not a huge fan of the heat they slap ya in the face with(so keep an eye out for seed give away's!) but I have a rather large collection of them :) I also have a massive veggie garden where I try and grow absolutely anything and everything I can.. The more self sufficient the better.

I see my self as an all rounder in the garden because I grow anything I can get my hands on! Plenty of cacti, veggies, chilli's, all genera of carnivorous plants besides bladderwort (the underwater one)

It all started about 5-6 years ago when a my brother gave me my first L. Williamsii and before I knew it I was actually trying to find extra space for more and more cacti.. I dont have many of the different named clones but I have a decent bunch of Trichocereus, I think I am missing Peruvianus and Spachianus and would love to get my hands on some in the future to get a true collection of Trichocereus..

My next ambition in the garden is going to be grafting(which scares the crap out of me because I dont want to lose what I have put so much care and attention into by stuffing up a graft), starting a collection of Lithops, Astro's, Stapelia, Pereskiopsis(which i swear are impossible to find), Coreyphantha's!

So before I continue to babble on and on I better cut this short ;)

So hopefully I fit in here and can contribute to this wonderfull community and would love to do some trades with you lot.

Thanks

RF

• Like 2

welcome

Its always nice to see an introduction :)

Im glad to see more cacti folk like myself as you can never have enough xD

and i love chilli's so i cant wait for some chilli seed givaways!

I'm glad I found a place like this Jwerta because where I am living you can almost see "ordinary" peoples eyes glaze over when I get a decent ramble happening as if "Is he STILL talking about bloody cacti" hehe

I will post some pics when I get back to NSW as I am away at the moment.

Would love to see some pics of your collection one day Jwerta.

RF

Welcome !

Pereskiopsis can appear to be an impossible acquisition locally. I found nothing in nurseries, online, on ebay etc. Fortunately through the generosity of members here, there are often giveaways (or swaps) of cuttings. Only yesterday a moderator offered some in exchange for postage costs only, but youre probably too late. Be patient, and become a regular here, and all sorts of rare flora might be found. Pereskiopsis is one such plant. Seeds of various trich hybrids are also common trading commodities here.

Are you a Sydney lad (Coastal NSW) or further north?

When it comes to the garden I am freakishly passionate about it, Cacti are my main focus but also grow many other plants, plenty of ethno orientated plants as well as a crap load of chilli's which is strange because I'm not a huge fan of the heat they slap ya in the face with(so keep an eye out for seed give away's!) but I have a rather large collection of them :) I also have a massive veggie garden where I try and grow absolutely anything and everything I can.. The more self sufficient the better.

A very warm welcome to the forums. Any excess veggies you are welcome to send my way ;)

Welcome to the Corroboree Rumple Foreskin. Your Avatar goes well with your name hey :)

Welcome !

Pereskiopsis can appear to be an impossible acquisition locally. I found nothing in nurseries, online, on ebay etc. Fortunately through the generosity of members here, there are often giveaways (or swaps) of cuttings. Only yesterday a moderator offered some in exchange for postage costs only, but youre probably too late. Be patient, and become a regular here, and all sorts of rare flora might be found. Pereskiopsis is one such plant. Seeds of various trich hybrids are also common trading commodities here.

Are you a Sydney lad (Coastal NSW) or further north?

Thankyou Psylo Dread,

I am planning to put a few give away's my self in the trading forum so who know's what could happen..

I was a Sydney local for a while, I grew up in Gosford so maybe not "Sydney" but I have moved away further north now due to family issues/illness, but shall return one day!

I notice you are in Sydney.. May have to catch up when I go visit my brother again.

RF

A very warm welcome to the forums. Any excess veggies you are welcome to send my way ;)

Thankyou WhiteWind, I like your user name :)

There isn't anything too exciting in there at the moment but I am finaly getting onto online vendor's to get some more unique/heirloom veggies.. I can't wait to get my hands on some of those BeefEater tomatoes. Those thing's grow massive for a damn tomatoe!

I will keep you in mind buddy ;)

RF

Welcome to the Corroboree Rumple Foreskin. Your Avatar goes well with your name hey :)

Why thankyou Amazonian, on some forum's I just get crap because of the "twist" I put on it hehe

But atleast you know what it is even with the twist :P

RF

• Like 1

Thankyou WhiteWind, I like your user name :)

There isn't anything too exciting in there at the moment but I am finaly getting onto online vendor's to get some more unique/heirloom veggies.. I can't wait to get my hands on some of those BeefEater tomatoes. Those thing's grow massive for a damn tomatoe!

I will keep you in mind buddy ;)

Aye, it's part of my Mayan birthdate. I have some heirloom tomato seeds getting old and need using up if you want to PM me. Also plenty of bean varieties and a few peas. Give before you receive is my motto!

That is a very gracious offer WhiteWind, but I would feel guilty taking something for nothing and I cannot send anything in return as yet because I am way way away from home at the moment and will be for maybe a month or so

Besides online vendor's where is a decent place to find heirloom seeds these days? Or is an online thing mainly. I found this awsome tomato seed site, I have never seen soo many different types of tomato :)

Hey Rumple welcome to the Corroboree

It is good to see you here as well :wink:

I can give you a few bits of pere that you can use to propagate your own little pere forest just send me a pm with your address.

Cheers

Got

That is a very gracious offer WhiteWind, but I would feel guilty taking something for nothing and I cannot send anything in return as yet because I am way way away from home at the moment and will be for maybe a month or so

Besides online vendor's where is a decent place to find heirloom seeds these days? Or is an online thing mainly. I found this awsome tomato seed site, I have never seen soo many different types of tomato :)

No worries Rumple - but I didn't mean you to feel obligated to send me stuff back! Often I can never help out people who help me, and help others instead - what turns around comes around.

Mind you, most of the tomato seeds are un-named varieties as I have just picked them up from other people's gardens, so if you are obsessed with keeping a named pure line going then most of mine will be no good. Eden seeds are where I get a lot of stuff from (or used to) Seedsavers and Diggers are other seed producers of heirloom and unusual varieties.

Here's a good place for vegetable seeds (alas, also online, but in my years of using them, they are faultless in their service)

http://www.edenseeds.com.au/

Edited by Psylo Dread

Hey Rumple welcome to the Corroboree

It is good to see you here as well :wink:

I can give you a few bits of pere that you can use to propagate your own little pere forest just send me a pm with your address.

Cheers

Got

Wow, this place is very generous, I'm going to have to pull my finger out and help people back! I have a list of a couple already haha, but this offer I cannot resist as I have been searching and searching for a long time now!

PM sent sir.

I may have something in mind to send you in return but I cannot get home for a long time at this point... so please bare with me on that one..

RF

No worries Rumple - but I didn't mean you to feel obligated to send me stuff back! Often I can never help out people who help me, and help others instead - what turns around comes around.

Mind you, most of the tomato seeds are un-named varieties as I have just picked them up from other people's gardens, so if you are obsessed with keeping a named pure line going then most of mine will be no good. Eden seeds are where I get a lot of stuff from (or used to) Seedsavers and Diggers are other seed producers of heirloom and unusual varieties.

I will take you up on that offer, I dont mind a mixed breed of anything to be honest, just like some of those "rarer" plants

PM me if you are still kean, what is your main garden area? Cacti, Veg or ethno? Let me know I may sort something out

RF

Here's a good place for vegetable seeds (alas, also online, but in my years of using them, they are faultless in their service)

http://www.edenseeds.com.au/

Thankyou Psylo!

You all really seem like a good bunch here! :)

RF

Eden seeds are where I get a lot of stuff from

Hey ! Get out of my head, with your two-minutes-prior suggestion.

That website looks very impressive :)

Welcome foreskin, hope you enjoy your stay! Eden seeds are great, uses them a heap now. Steer clear of ebay for heirloom seeds as I've always ended up with regular looking commercial produce!

Steer clear of ebay for heirloom seeds as I've always ended up with regular looking commercial produce!

Thankyou for the advice.

Seem's like they have some really cheap prices too.

RF

Just FYI, Hamiltons nowadays stock Pereskiopsis or atleast has had them for sale the last few times I've been out there. $2.50 for a rooted 4 inch cutting.

Thanks Snowfella, I love Hamilton's, last time I was there I spent half the day there goin' up and down up and down those domes haha

I need to make a trip out there again but its a long drive from where I am.

Welcome as well Snowfella.

RF

That's out Windsor way, right ? If it's worth it (ie a big retail selection) then I might cruise up there next weekend.

Landilo is how you spell it I think. If you do end up going out that way maybe I could throw you some cash and you could grab something for me? :)

RF