The Corroboree
Chef

Crest ID!

Question

The mrs went up the coast for a "girls" week end while i was at work, yeah lucky her :P but she happened to bring me home a crested cactus i was just wondering if anyone would happen to know what sp it is? im very excited regardless of what it is as it is my first crest :)

Thanks everyone!

post-7574-0-47795200-1328510534_thumb.pn

post-7574-0-93204900-1328510559_thumb.pn

post-7574-0-26534300-1328510585_thumb.pn

post-7574-0-23563500-1328510609_thumb.pn

post-7574-0-41073300-1328510630_thumb.pn

Cheers

post-7574-0-47795200-1328510534_thumb.png

post-7574-0-93204900-1328510559_thumb.png

post-7574-0-26534300-1328510585_thumb.png

post-7574-0-23563500-1328510609_thumb.png

post-7574-0-41073300-1328510630_thumb.png

post-7574-0-47795200-1328510534_thumb.png

post-7574-0-93204900-1328510559_thumb.png

post-7574-0-26534300-1328510585_thumb.png

post-7574-0-23563500-1328510609_thumb.png

post-7574-0-41073300-1328510630_thumb.png

15 answers to this question

no idea what sp it is but you have one awesome women and congratulations on your first crest it is very pretty

thanks man, sam (my mrs) loves to fact how involved i get into my cacti..

i often wonder what the neighbours think when im out having a cigarette every/any time im out there im either stairing at them or a vine i have growing :P

Oh jwerta u memba that "new growth thread" i made, the cereus flower has started to open :) will post pics later

looks like the 'akira' crest, which is of uncertain origins afaik... it may be Trichocereus grandiflorus or Cereus peruvianus i think theres a thread about it somewhere

I thought maybe a peru but it dosent seem to have the spikes petruding as far as i thought (but im no expert)...

cant wait to hear everyones input

cheers zah and jwerta :) :)

thanks man, sam (my mrs) loves to fact how involved i get into my cacti..

i often wonder what the neighbours think when im out having a cigarette every/any time im out there im either stairing at them or a vine i have growing :P

Oh jwerta u memba that "new growth thread" i made, the cereus flower has started to open :) will post pics later

awesome man are you gunna try and self fertilise it?

@jwerts,im not very familiar with doing that, plus i only have the one flowering plant at the moment?

i ment the cereus all you have to do is put some pollen onto the stigma like once a day

"Cereus sp. forma monstruosa Cristata Clone A" i´d say. Nice cactus! bye Eg

cereus peruvianus crest, & you better be thinking of something super special for the mrs.....

• Like 1

Can't really tell from the pics but im thinking a notocactus whatever it is its awesome

Ill put my hand up for a piece if you ever devide it up for

it has long really thin brown hair coloured spines that arent too strong to the touch..

i think the mrs would cut my nuts off if i started hacking at it just yet :P

Is there any special care needed for crest's or can i just throw em in with my other potted cacti?

Cheers

Edited by Chef

Does look like the Akira plant, which is as mentioned from unknown origins, apparently a T grandflorus x of sorts. The akira i have and a few others here have is was from a guy that used to sell a heap of lophs and knew his plants although he wasnt the greatest to deal with at times so who knows where this plant comes from. Even when called cereus it is still of unknown parentage apparently. I havent done an areole graft on this one, was gunna but never did. I have this akira thing and another cereus which is very very similar but there are differences...... Might do some today, got some stock rooted, i guess i can waste one for the cause :)

It props very easily btw.

keep me updated PD! Ive been meaning to PM you lately too just been busy as and had to pospone

generically speaking crests (cv. cristata) (and many monstrose) seem to like a little less water than there non-frankenstein counterparts? anyone else found this? maybe not that they dont like as much, but they are more susceptible to diseases than their normal counterparts.

Must i say you have one awsome girlfriend...where she found that around coffs harbor or anywhere on the east coast for that matter is beyond me....i dont even want to know how much she payed for that thing.....regardless of value it is a beautiful cactus...and like cactus carl would love a cut if you ever disseminate :D ....you should sooner or later anyway to rpeserve it if for nothing other than yourself, if the mother were to die....

anyone got a good idea on what the best stock for this would be? geo Myrtle?

Another vote for notocactus here. I've seen spines vary in length and number, but not the 'consistency' of the spine when it comes to the difference between crested and normal plants. Anything's possible though ;)

p.s. you have an awesome mrs as stated above!

Edited by bit