The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ThunderIdeal

computer question for the wizards - semi-forgotten password

i'm trying to bruteforce one of my passwords and i've encountered difficulty where i didn't expect to. i've mainly been googling 'generating word list', and i just can't find software that will take a few parameters and generate a list, maybe i don't haven't been searching the right word? there seems to be heaps of these on linux but a program called l517 seems to dominate the windows scene, and i have a major difficulty with it, i can't get it to accept special characters eg @#$%#$^

trouble is that many list generators are for hacking not for semi-forgotten passwords, and many of the people in my position write their own scripts to generate the list.

what software could i use, or where should i go to ask?

or

are any linux users up for a little project? not too hard, run one of these programs with the (fairly simple) parameters i give and send me the word list.

Where is the password used? A windows user account? Online (Don't have to be specific)? Passworded RAR/other compression format file?

Also, I'm a Linux user.

i suppose you're asking if there is another way to go about this and there isn't because it's an encrypted volume. i just need a file with a word list (list of potential passwords) and then the attack can begin. generic wordlists won't help me, i need to make one which has a bunch of (defined) syllables combined differently. the first and last parts of the password are known.

edit: even though at0m has offered to make the list, if anybody knows of any windows based programs or how i can make l517 work that might still be useful in case i need to play around more to find the right password.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

That is what I was curious about, yes.

I've got some spare space available so shoot me the requirements and I'll get it to you ASAP. :)

**note to self...

watch out for the above :P