The Corroboree
Stillman

Sea buckthorn Hippophae rhamnoides tree

I have a few seeds which I have just planted. interesting plant/ shrub, I am still doing some research, apparently takes 6 years to fruit. Anyone know much about propagating / uses?

from Wiki http://en.wikipedia....phae_rhamnoides

and the oil http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_buckthorn_oil

Edited by Stillman

Ive got a few seed grown almost 2 years old, the tallest about 1.2m and looks like it is about to flower for the first time. fingers crossed because

all info ive seen says 4-8 years before fruiting. I was going to take some cuttings before i noticed, but now im gunna wait till they are finished doing their thing.

They were started in peat/vermiculite based SR mix in glasshouse conditions, from memory took more than a few weeks to germ, about 50% strike rate. Once

up they are as tough as. Mine are still in 300mm pots.

Interesting to know they have male and female plants, I started 50 seeds so fingers crossed I get a few of each, I'm starting mine under lights controlled temp etc good time of year so fingers crossed I get a good strike.

They have three plants at Mount Tomah Botanic Garden but they don't fruit. I assume that's because they are all male or female.

It's a shame as it's the fruits that are the interesting part. Apparently the roots fix nitrogen which is pretty unusual for non-legumes.

I read they fix nitrogen by drawing it through the air? they use them to hold sand dunes together and apparently quite salt hardy. I'm keen to grow a heap out and see what happens.