The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Chef

Orange at base of Cereus!!?

Hey guys,

after heap o' rain we have had here recently i noticed at the base of one of my smaller cereus it has maybe just under a cm of orange at the base of it.. this is rotting isnt it? its only just began... sorry the pic isnt that great my nikkon dosent do too great at close up, it looks just a tad darker then in the pic....

If i keep it dry as possible do ya think i will be able to save the little fella?

Thanks!

Chef

post-7574-0-74709200-1326675473_thumb.pn

post-7574-0-74709200-1326675473_thumb.png

post-7574-0-74709200-1326675473_thumb.png

for me that looks like the kind of rot that will spread up the whole cacti and kill it from the inside-out. I have it alot here in Sweden, cut it off above the rot and save what's rest of it! you're lucky there is something to save, most of this kind of rot happens to my younger, non woody plants.

man that soil looks dripping wet :/

yeah i had to move them into the garage in the middle of the night, pissed down rain for way to long :( suns only just came out now ive moved them out and in of the garage 4 times already today when the sun comes out and then it rains so i have to move em again >_<

Cheers mate

Chef

to me it looks like a normal depigmented section from where the cutting has previously been under the soil and the rain may have moved the soil away and exposed that area or something, orange rot looks a bit different to me. someone may correct me, but i wouldnt be worried.

just had to move em inside again! aargh lol.

fingers crossed

Thanks!

Chef

Either of the above suggestions could be right..

Is the orange part "squishy" or firm compared to the rest of the Cereus?

If it's soft I would cut it above the suspected rot.

Edited by centipede
  • Like 1

well it feels just as firm as the tip does...

if it gets any worse i guess i will have to cut it..

Thanks!

Chef

if it feels just as firm as the rest i'd be inclined to think my earlier suggestion is accurate, must be nice to find out you don't need to chop one of your little guys...

yeah it does lol, well the sun has finally came back out now and looks like it might hang around for the rest of the day, so they are dryin out..

Thanks for ya input guys

Cheers

Chef