The Corroboree
migraineur

What Soil Do I Need for These Seeds?

Hi guys,

Could someone please tell me what kind of soil mix I should use when planting the following seeds?

Hawaiian Baby Woodrose

Mimosa Hostilis

Peganum Harmala

Rivea Corymbosa

Acacia

I found some information on lighting, moisture needs and other things for some of the plants but wasn't having much luck with regard to the soil mixture. I want to make sure I do it properly the first time so I don't waste my seeds.

iv grown everything listed but peganum harmala in normal potting mix with no problem at all. peganum would never grow for me. it needs dry arid conditions i believe.

• Like 1

I had a really long gestation period with my p.harmala.

I sprinkled a heap of SAB store bought seed on plain potting mix and after a month or two gave up and planted some silene seed in the same soil.

Eventually to my surprise the rue started sprouting like mad. This was not due to any climatic variation as they were germinating in my now non-existent indoor room which had constant temps and humidity. I think from memory i had neglected the watering somewhat.

They seem to be well suited to the SA climate. I believe they grow wild to the north af adelaide too.

a good brand seed raising mixture, would be ok for all of them.

hostillis and acacia like, the pottingmix to be, very free draining, so you could add a bit more gravel.

peganum likes it very alkaline, so add lime.

if you have no gravel or coarse river sand, than add cacti potting mix instead.

the rivea and hbwr, like it quite moist, so you could add, water holding substances to that mix.

i never use saucers much, but for rivea and hbwr, they would come handy to keep the soil moist.

Edited by planthelper