The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
quarterflesh

bush apples????

Not sure if this is a native or not, but about a year ago i was told about a plant that was called a bush apple that apparently grew wild around oz. the story i was told is that it has a lot of small black seeds inside and the people that ingested just 1 or 2 seeds were tripping terribly and were hiding in corners shivering and wetting them selves. Just a week ago a aboriginal man told me about the same plant and how just one seed did the exact same thing to him, although he never knew the name of the plant his story sounded exactly the same with the same effects. does anyone possibly know what plant i am going on about ? i have looked for a info elsewhere but turned up nothing.

thanks guy

Sounds almost like datura, which is known as a thorn apple. Common names sometimes get mixed up as well as the actual species concerned.

it does sound like a datura but is more likely to be a Solanum. There are plenty of them throughout central Australia and some of them are known as bush tomatoes.

Solanum aviculare is known as kangaroo apple so could possibly be called bush apple?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_aviculare

and Solanum linnaeanum is known as devil's apple

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_linnaeanum

i was thinking datura at the start but i have never seen black datura seeds. from the wiki descriptions,solanum sounds like it fits the bill.

thanks so much for the help guys, it has been doing my head in trying to work out what it was

Cheers

Perhaps Datura leichhardtii.

Datura stramonium has black seeds.

600px-Bielu%C5%84_dzi%C4%99dzierzawa_Datura_stramonium_Seed.jpg

I'm growing bush tomato Solanum centrale which has brown seeds that look like an eggplants, but there is another central australian bush tomato, Solanum chippendalei, which has small black seeds which i think were traditionally

discarded as inedible.

Edited by LokStok