The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Khala

Grafting Middle-sections

Hey everyone, I have a question.

I've got a fair few pachanoi cuts that are rooted but have had their tips cut off. They are already calloused. Now I am wondering, if I cut a bit down from the callous, will a graft take from this, or will it not survive? Does the plant stop growing that middle section throughout post-callous?

Thankyou!

if I cut a bit down from the callous, will a graft take from this

depending on your grafting skills, yes. You can make the cut immediately below the calloused portion.

Does the plant stop growing that middle section throughout post-callous?

no, the plant doesnt stop growing, what it is doing is redirecting it's apical meristem to an appropriate aerole where it will form a new pup.

• Like 1

Okay thankyou!

The vascular core needs to be to be soft and non-woody and the fact that these have already had their tips removed increases the chances of the this core being too hard. I wouldn't graft to anything other than a section from which I only at the time of completing the graft removed the top inch or two of the tip. Also, the point at which one cuts off the tip to complete a graft should be fresh seasons growth.

If your sections had the time to get rooted after having the tips cut off then they are probably no good for grafting.

~Michael~

/\/\ thats good advice.

Not to say you cant graft to woody cores, its just more or less a waste if speed is your goal.