The Corroboree
faustus

increasing maximum upload size???

would be ill -- got a whole bunch of interesting pdfs and ebooks that would be good to host here for greater permanency.

maybe you could increase the maximum file size to something like 5 MB, or alternatively, allow unlimited file size but then set a limit on the unlimited global upload quota??

bad timing for the request. I am not doing any such stuff until forum is running stable.

but yes, it sounds like a workable idea. There is already a global upload limit per member, so I could reduce that to ensure it doesn't get out of hand. I could also apply different limits to different member groups. we currently hold about 20GB of data, so you can imagine simply maintaining that in triplicate is getting quite expensive. So while I don't want to limit quality content in any way, I also have to make sure it stays managable into the future.

i'm wondering if you mean 20TB. i always say GB when i mean TB.

i remember when nobody had heard of a gigabyte.

It would be brilliant if the forum could resize my pictures for me! I dont mind that the hosted file is smaller and of slightly lower quality, but its a pain to have to manualy resize each pic before uploading ...

TI, I think you are thinking of home storage, not server storage. 1Tb is about US$500 per month to host !!!

I did make a mistake though. I looked at the wrong server. The forum server is actually 42GB [not 19GB as stated above].

The forums are currently the only account on a high spec 100GB server [VPS] that costs US$120/month. I also run a back up server that backs up the sab server and 2 more, which costs about $60 for the part that the forums use. So all up the forums currently cost US$180/month.

The scary thing is that we approximately doubled in size in just over 12 months. So in another year we will probably need more than double again. While the prices come down a lot, they never halve in just 12 months. So our costs roughly increase about 40% per year.

It would be brilliant if the forum could resize my pictures for me! I dont mind that the hosted file is smaller and of slightly lower quality, but its a pain to have to manualy resize each pic before uploading ...

I'll see if I can find a script for that.

Until 2009 I actually donwloaded all the posted images periodically [min 6 months after they were posted], batch shrunk them to 300MB and reuploaded them into the same filename. So any thread would still have the archived reasonably sized image available for the future. I haven't had the time to do this for a couple of years now and anyway, much of the volume comes from non-image files.