The Corroboree
Halcyon Daze

karackaberries

I stumbled upon these for the first time the other day in Wollworthless's and they are awesome.

From what I found on google, they are a hybrid blackberry/rasberry and they are HUGE. very similar in apperance to a very large plump mulberry but with a blackberry-ish taste. mmmm I'm eating them right now and they are delicious!

Needless to say, I'm keeping all the seeds I can find. Get em while the getting's good!

Karackaberries sounds like an awesome euphemism for "testicles". I'm keeping it.

• Like 3

the idea to grow stuff from supermarkets is a good one!

i like the wild blackberry the most, ahh, i miss the cold climat, berry fruits.

i grew the yellow kiwi fruit, from supermarket seeds, and you don't find that one even in the nurseries (years ago).

other good seeds, salak, mangosteen, tamarillo, dragon fruit...

if u like the blackberry raspberry hybrids, get urself youngbery, boysenberry and silvanberry aswell. Plant them now in a well prepared hole, lotsa fert over grow period, next year u will have reasonable harvest if u get ur canes to grow long enough, but 2nd year u can get 5kg per bush easy. And man they taste good, I'm constantly attacking my bush every day, at lunch I just eat a bunch of silvanberries and strawberries while gardening. Very much my favourite berries esp since u can establich them so fast, it's worth doing even for a rental as they could easily be dug up/propagated or are cheap enough to buy another when u move. coho raspberries have a very low chill requirement, so if u think u can't grow raspberries try a coho, they only need ~2-300hours a year

I thought you might've meant the kotata berry as googling karacka berry didn't turn up any results, but turns out it's karaka berry or karaka black. Those things really look huge btw. Recently bought a tayberry myself, already have a wild blackberry and a yellow raspberry, but the blackberry is so sour it's only good for preservatives and the raspberry is a little bland. Hope the tayberry won't be dissapointing.

here's a couple pics off google images. so what's the deal with posting images from some other website anyway, are we allowed to or not? I'll delete them if I have to.

post-8867-0-86911400-1323394148_thumb.jp

post-8867-0-54665100-1323394182_thumb.jp

113743962.jpg

080.jpg

113743962.jpg

080.jpg

Wow those look awesome!

When I saw the thread title I thought you were talking about the NZ tree called Karaka (Corynocarpus laevigatus)

Parentage

Karaka Black is a hybrid berry cultivar, which was produced by inter-crossing two Aurora x Comanche hybrids in the New Zealand hybrid-berry breeding programme. Aurora [OSC 616 (Zielinski x Logan) x OSC 73 (Logan x Austin Mayes)] is a hybrid berry, an 8x Rubus selection from multi species background, from the Oregon breeding programme, and Comanche is a blackberry cultivar from the Arkansas breeding programme derived from the cross Darrow x Brazos.

Fruit Quality & Flavour

The fruit is well displayed and is very easy to pick. The dark black fruit has a long cylindrical-conical shape, is very firm and very shiny. The flavour is likened to a mild blackberry, and may be somewhat acidic when picked slightly under-ripe or grown in a cool climate. Fruit size is large, with an average weight of 10-11g, and is larger than Kotata and Waldo. Shelf life of fruit is outstanding and it is at least as good as Tulameen red raspberry, the standard for fresh market raspberry production in the UK and Europe.

Yield

Karaka Black yield is high, approximately 15t/ha, compared to the cultivars Silvan at 13t/ha and Waldo at 10t/ha. In trials in New Zealand, Karaka Black has achieved yields of over 25t/ha.

Season

Karaka Black fruiting season is very long, producing high quality fruit for six to eight weeks. In New Zealand, Karaka Black starts to ripen at the same time as Silvan.

Plant Characteristics

Canes have moderate vigour and are less spiny than Boysenberry or Silvan blackberry. Moderate plant vigour makes it appropriate to plant this cultivar at 1m spacing to ensure a high yield. The plant habit is trailing.

Disease Resistance

The plant has moderate disease resistance to downy mildew (Peronospora sparsa), the cause of ‘dry berry’ disease and to fruit Botrytis due to fruit firmness.

Use of the Variety

Karaka Black is suitable for fresh market, processing and pick your own. In a cool climate this cultivar will be well suited to tunnel production of fruit for fresh market.

Haha turns out we are going to be planting a buttload of these at work before christmas, will have to grab some cuttings.

Yeah, I think these are great. I don't know if anyone else will agree, but I get a floral flavour along with the fruity flavour with these...as though they have a little rose water on them or something.

so what's the deal with posting images from some other website anyway, are we allowed to or not? I'll delete them if I have to.

That's a good question. It's pretty common to use images from other sites for referential purposes. I think you would have to make the call as the poster as to whether or not you're infringing upon anyone's copyright. Of course, if you had a request from the copyright holder to remove the image then you would need to take it down.