The Corroboree

Man, nice skinning so far. I find the Joker-esque quirk at the side of the mouth amusing. Were the ears a real pain to model? Or were the more frontal facial features more difficult to get the right look with?

Yeah, lol. That's the uv map not matching up with the image perfectly. I just need to move a couple of points on the uv map to straighten it out, but I don't want to bother until I can actually see the lips clearly in the texture.

The nose was the most difficult part of the face to model I think. I've got way too many polygons in the creases around the nostrils, including some triangles. I've looked at the topology other people have used, and will cross-reference with a mesh with cleaner topology next time while I'm modeling.

Okay, so my drive that had all my saved modelling work on it died the other day. I'm not too fussed about losing what I had been working on because I had been stagnating a bit with it anyway. So I started a new one, and by God I have learnt a lot from working on the other one. This mesh is much cleaner, and my texturing is much better. This only took me today and yesterday, probably about 15 hours all up. That's much better than the weeks it took me to get the other one up to the stage it was at. The main reason for the improvement in the texturing is that I took the photos for texturing myself. I was using a piece of white shadecloth to diffuse sunlight, so there is very little in the way of baked shadows in the textures. I still need to get a good bumpmap done (I screwed up the first one so didn't include it in this render). That, combined with a good specularity map should get rid of that waxy look. But, all in all, I'm very happy with how this has turned out so far and how quickly I got it done.

zk1.png

EDIT: Unfortunately, my camera is shithouse. I want to get a decent camera one day for various reasons, and that will greatly improve the appearance of image based textures like this.

Edited by ballzac

zk2.png

I just realised how shithouse the ear is. I think I can get away with adjusting the mesh without changing the texture though.

zk3.png

Edited by ballzac

Wow, this one is much more realistic.

But I miss the boobies :(

Don't worry Alice. I plan on modelling lots and lots of boobies in the future...I just need to find someone to model for me :drool2:

It's pretty close to finished now. I've done a nice bump and spec map, fixed up the mesh and the uv map a little, and made a good start on the eyes. The eyes are tricky without a decent camera. I may have to draw them, but the accuracy may suffer a little. After I've fixed up the eyes, I might try to do some realistic hair, brows and lashes, and then put it to rest and start a new one.

zk11.png

Edited by ballzac

I didn't realise I hadn't posted the 'finished' one. It's far from perfect, but I can't be bothered working on it any more.

zk23.png

zk22.png

Anyway, I'm just trying to learn how to use the new render engine for blender (cycles). There's a lot of material properties I knew how to set on the old one that I'm struggling to work out on this, but the actual realism of the lighting is incredible.

bottle.png

Wow! The new model is the business! Great workBallz!