The Corroboree
Teljkon

Has love/sex become comodatiesed

I might be idealising Russia here a bit... the place does have a *very* gritty underbelly or should I say, overbelly - but this does not undermine the romantic spirit of the women - which is what I am highlighting. Most of my experiences with Russian women have actually been in the west as well...

Funnily enough, in that pdf Russia rates more highly than Switzerland. And the three baltic states, which are ex-soviet states, all come up in the top ten!

Yes, for sure, there is the fucked and get fucked culture in Russia, with commodifcation occurring there in maybe a much grosser way than anywhere.... but what I'm saying, is that there is an internal culture in the women that is very strong - which I wanted to highlight - which places feminine values such as love and purity very highly and a romantic spirit is alive and well in that culture and indeed in most of eastern europe. Compared to the west, where we have "sex and the city" gals bemoaning the absence of romance... it is like chalk and cheese.

>I think you are making a great many extremely broad generalisations and false assumptions here.

This is the kind of things they say at universities to discourage students from having their own opinions and thoughts, and to stop you from getting to an essentially focussed viewpoint, which is a usefully true enough!

This is an interesting site with some very perceptive writings which attempts to capture and interpret the internal culture of Russian women.

http://russianwomenspeak.wordpress.com/

Julian.

someones shopping for a russian bride ;)

>someones shopping for a russian bride ;)

Actually, I'm considering making a documentary about russian/ukrainian women!

asdfdf

Edited by Teljkon

>someones shopping for a russian bride ;)

Actually, I'm considering making a documentary about russian/ukrainian women!

Please do, this needs much more exposure. But please don't reduce women from these regions to idealised (and archaic) models of femininity. A docu on human traffic, prostitution, 'slavery', and the social conditions that give rise to a certain type of femininity in Russia or elsewhere would be much more interesting and legit. Remember that "romance" as most of us here understand it is a function of capitalism and patriarchy, not a privileged choice or disposition for women.

Also, an accusation of generalisation and assumption isn't a way of discouraging you from your work, it's a suggestion to refine your research methods and to look more closely at the data you've gathered, or interpretations you're making.

Also, to Teljkon and subsequent replies it is "commodified" not "comodatiesed"