The Corroboree
Stillman

Poppy seeds

have realised it is illegal to grow in Australia my bad.

Edited by Stillman

Surface sow, water as normal?

If they are viable you will have no issue.

Disclaimer to satisfy the wandering eyes of ballzac :rolleyes:

My indepth culrivation teck above is suitable for all types of poppies, except Papaver somniferum and Papaver bracteatum.

Edited by eatfoo

What eatfoo said - except your right about the heat. I had some ornamental ones that I sewed about mid winter, and most of them germinated, but as of 2 weeks ago they are all dead now (and didnt even make it to the flowering stage) because its just too hot (in in North QLD). The poor buggers fried to a crisp - even the ones in the shade. The best time to plant in QLD id say would be early winter or late autumn.

Also you might actually have (i think) P. rhoeas (sp?) or flanders poppies, which it may or may not say on the label. I think the flanders poppy seeds taste slightly different, but other than growing them out its difficult to tell because the seeds are almost identical.

Given how readily available poppy seeds are though its not like youve wasted good seeds or anything, but I doubt they'll grow. I think the opium poppy seeds available in australia for culinary use are the tasmanian strain (the high morph content variety with lavender coloured flowers and big pods).

good luck - Id like to hear how things go. If they are going to germinate it should start within a week or two and more will continue to germinate over as much as the next two months.

• Like 1

I love a challenge and they are quite an atractive plants so I will have a play and hopefully get a few up I am a chef and have access to quiet a few different Brands and possibly species of poppy seed and will talk to a baker friend and see if I can grow a few different out maybe see if we can get some different flower colours. Like I said its all a bit of shits and giggles, but Iwill definately post some pics if I can get anything to germinate, I have a shade house which I think may be the best place and I will grow them in cocco so should keep the water up to them.

Isn't it still illegal to grow papaver somniferum in australia? :blink:

• Like 1

if they come up I will surely destroy them... I just want to see if they will germinate :blush:

• Like 1

Regardless of whether you kill them or not, germinating them would be illegal if you suspect they are an illegal species. You also say you want to find out if they're active.

Not to mention that other members who have been here longer and should know better are giving you advice on how to break the law :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Not to mention that other members who have been here longer and should know better are giving you advice on how to break the law :rolleyes:

Im not aware of any law on the subject. My understanding is that poppies like cactus ect, are leagle to grow for ornamentle purposes. Wanting to see if they are active is not an ornamentle purpose btw ;)

Some of the seeds are a little expensive to dust a roll with

Edit: im no pro, so dont take my word for it. It might just be one of these unenforced things.

Edited by eatfoo

Two clicks from the page you linked to:

The cultivation of Papaver somniferum and Papaver bracteatum is a illegal under federal, state and local legislation.

:rolleyes:

Sorry are they the only 2 spp. that are reffered to as poppies?

Sorry are they the only 2 spp. that are reffered to as poppies?

No, but the species mentioned in the original post was one of those two, so what's your point?

It might just be one of these unenforced things.

Yeah, it generally is if you're an old lady. But the rules of these boards - and this has been discussed very recently - disallow discussion of illegal activities, regardless of whether old ladies get away with it or not.

The OP asked for advice on cultivation of plants that are illegal in the state and country he lives in, the same country that these boards are mostly for. You then gave advice on said cultivation. Such discussion is against the rules. Fair enough, you didn't know cultivation of P. somniferum is illegal. You made a mistake and now you know better.

He didnt know what he had. He was just hoping for that is was "active

I just told him how to germinate "poppys"

Oops :o Thats a good point ballzac. Of course by ornamental poppies I was referring to the P. rhoeas and Iceland poppies, which have very similar growth parameters to the opium poppy.

• Like 1

He didnt know what he had. He was just hoping for that is was "active

I just told him how to germinate "poppys"

I can't understand why you're arguing dude. He very specifically mentioned an illegal species and that he wanted to germinate the seeds he had to find out if they were active. If he was talking about california poppies or something, then fair enough. But he SPECIFICALLY mentioned that particular species. He had no problem removing his post once I brought it to his attention, so I don't know why YOU feel the need to split hairs about it.

I can't understand why you're arguing dude. He very specifically mentioned an illegal species and that he wanted to germinate the seeds he had to find out if they were active. If he was talking about california poppies or something, then fair enough. But he SPECIFICALLY mentioned that particular species. He had no problem removing his post once I brought it to his attention, so I don't know why YOU feel the need to split hairs about it.

Maybe the same reason your still battling on after he changed his post? I didnt recall the exact phrasing of the orig post, but i was under the impresion he had "poppy seeds" of an unknown sp.

Anyway it takes 2 to argue and im out. Peace

Edited by eatfoo

they were unknown origin poppy seeds and its just my nature to be curious I wanted to see what I had and if it was active, I didn't want to actually try it as opiates scare the crap out of me ie Oding etc but its always more fun to grow something you know is :shroomer: . Anyway I ment know harm and didn't mean to cause any trouble I have deleted the post and so we don't need to fight about it. Thanks on the advice on growing ornamental poppies. And again I am sorry i did not mean to break any rules.

• Like 1

Dont stress man. Your not at fault here. Take it easy.

Hi again I am not trying to stir up anything but I just read this article

http://www.gaia-health.com/articles401/000407-australia-ban-common-garden-plants.shtml

it state that it is legal to grow opium poppies as long as it is 100 plants or less and I am assuming you are not actively milking the pods. I'm not sure if this is true but I will look into it out of interest.

after doing further research the above link seems full of many misinformations as planthelper stated below please disregard.

Edited by Stillman

please all lissen!

ballzac, argued a good case, thank you for looking after this thread, mon.

the topic starter, aknowledged his wrong doing, and edited his post.

eatfoo, i can feel for you, because in your mind all you did, was to give info, and got critized for doing so.

torsten said in another thread, "Almost ANYTHING can be said in a way so that it is not incriminating. Don't be so lazy".

aswell he said, " It is quite reasonable to discuss traditional uses for example....."

to compose a topic, in a non incriminating way, is a skill, and i struggle aswell, at times with this,

but it is possible, and you know what.....?

you can learn how do to this, by reading here at the forum....

legal poppies are totaly worth growing and investigating.

one more thing, things have changed over the years a lot aswell,

some things we discussed years ago, are impossible to talk about these day's.

edit:

topic starter, you posted whilst i was composing....

somniferium poppies are illegal to cultivate, full stopp.

don't spread misconception!

Edited by planthelper

Wow, that website is one big research mess. Khat is derived from Kratom, they reckon? :scratchhead:

yeah i love when people are like "so you're telling me growing opium poppies will be illegal, just because they contain opium??"

post-1342-0-58440100-1321588272_thumb.pn !

post-1342-0-58440100-1321588272_thumb.png

post-1342-0-58440100-1321588272_thumb.png