The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
MagicalMedic

Great source of free or cheap good quality filter material

Just something I found out recently which some might find interesting; during the swine flu scare [i'm pretty sure it was] the Pharmacy Guild of Australia (PGA) took the precaution of sending out huge quantities of surgical masks to their member pharmacies to ensure widespread availability should the flu have gone pandemic. Some of the pharmacies now sell these masks very cheap, however those less stingy are often happy to give them to you free in packs of ten or twenty as they have hundreds spare and they don't sell. The great majority of Australian pharmacies are members of the PGA so you could try your local - just tell them you're working in a dusty environment and you need quite a few.

Anywho these are potentially great filters - though tyvek has a pore size of 2-15 microns these masks are a double layered higher tech design rated to 99.9% effectiveness for bacteria at 3 microns - better than tyvek / polyfill and potentially free.

• Like 2

Nice discovery! Tyvek's too expensive in Australia and lab supplies are a hassle. Thanks for the research!

That said, ain't nuttin gone shift me from I and I polyfill: we is solid as a rock. :wub:

Nice discovery! Tyvek's too expensive in Australia and lab supplies are a hassle. Thanks for the research!

That said, ain't nuttin gone shift me from I and I polyfill: we is solid as a rock. :wub:

Lots of USPS envelopes are made of Tyvek, so if someone from the States sends you something, just cut it up, dip it in alcohol and you're set.

What about Tyvek spray suits? Quality of the Tyvek weave might be a bit to inconsistent to use as a reliable filter.

Tyvek coveralls are great one pair will give you sleeves for your glove box and a huge amount of filters.

Buy the biggest size you can then you get more bang for your buck :)

Cheers

Got

I bought a pair of xxl tyvek pants from ebay for... $2 I think? that would've made hundreds of lids but I ended up giving them away after I spent $30 on a pack of 100 synthetic filter disks with 0.45um pores. Completely overkill but I don't get any contams anymore :)

30c a disk and you can do 4 lids per disk.

Pity I didn't know about the face masks 2 years ago.. would've been handy then!

Edited by Distracted