The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
rkundalini

Pagan info

Hello, more an enquiry for a friend actually...

Does anyone know of some good books on traditonal pagan ritual, belief system, practices, etc? We went to a reasonably good bookshop but only found stuff on wicca/witchcraft. We'd prefer to read what is actually known about pre-christian practices rather than a bunch of made up stuff.

Where to look? I guess we are talking about celtic or druid culture? We were admittedly looking in the "magic" section but none of the other sections looked appropriate ("religion" had mainly judeo-christian-islam stuff)... So does anyone have suggestions for specific books, or hints on how to find what we want (e.g. look for "celtic" not "pagan"?) thanks...

Its not my area but my wife is wiccan abd interested in celtic mythology and stuff.

She says the "Theosophical Society Bookshop" has everything.

She seems to head off there every time we get to Melbourne.

I imagine every major capital city has a similar place

yes the TS bookstore is ok,

but seriously watch out for the barely audible 'alpha' tapes they play in there! smile.gif

i didn't notice it until the 3rd-4th time i was in there..walking out with that dizzying feeling of info-overload having selected, browsed and skimmed and appraised, etc overwhelmed to the point of confusion..this makes not for healthy consumerism.

THE GOLDEN BOUGH by J G Frazer offers some interesting insights into traditional beliefs and superstitions, etc.

TS bookstore should have "celtic section" Rkundalini.

I go into a daze whenever I go in..its like so many different paths, religions, mythologys, cults, systems of belief.

If its about knowledge, self awareness and understanding..then Im into it.

The golden bough traces magic and ritual historically. It traces paganism much further back than "celtic deities"

Though all earlier cultures and Non christian belief systems are considered Pagan. Didn't the christians build there temples(churches)on Wiccan old Pagan sites?

There is magic in the land, thats why all the ley lines, dragons and mystical animals.

the golden bough was originally published as a 12 volume set. the one i have is the modern condensed version, still a hefty volume in its own right.

Theosofische Vereniging in Nederland,

Tolstraat-154,

1074 VM Amsterdam,

The Netherlands.

Phone: 31-20-676 5672

Fax: 31-20-675 7657

As someone who both studies the Celts in a professional manner and who follows (to the best of my ability) a Celtic tradition, I have some info and advice.

(Bear in mind that you may choose whatever path chooses you. I am merely providing info from one angle)

The best (meaning most accurate, historical and not made-up) books on the Celts tend to be scholarly ones (mythology, archaeology, literary types). This can turn a lot of people off and send them off towards Wicca/ Druid/ Golden Bough stuff; and worse.I will not give my opinions on these right things here, but will reitereate that they are not Celtic traditions. Feel free to follow them if you must, and peace be with you, but my mind's definately made up on that score.

To cut it short, for I must hasten away, away (:->), in my opinion, probably the best crossover between the scholarly and the esoteric i the Celtic material is "The Apple Branch" by Alexei Kondratiev, which I think is available from Amazon (might be sold under a diffrent name in Europe).

I don't have time to give you a list right now, but have a look at http://www.imbas.org

they have a book list, as well as an e-list for any queries you have. Also, there is yahoo e-list under "celticpath" which is particularly good.

Hope this helps.

Hwyl.

[This message has been edited by Gwydion (edited 05 February 2002).]