The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Peddler

An awesome refreshing drink recipe

Ok - please leave your aussie beer traditions aside for a moment.

When I was in mexico I ordered a beer from a bar. The guy asked me 'Michelada?' - I had no idea, so he said 'chelada' and i nodded stupidely and he walked off and returned with a large beer mug of a drink I thought looked foul and which I initially didnt like.

No its my staple - its the best, although if you can find a bar that will make it properly let me know - even the local ale house does a half arsed effort.

Chelada

Ingredients:

salt

1 lemon

4 cubes of ice

1 stubby of beer - XXXX summer bright lager works well, as does any mexican-style beer.

Ideal for:

Hot summer days, or a long day mowing your half acre block...

1. Grab a large glass or beer mug;

2. Place the salt in a round plastic tub;

3. cut the lemon, rubbing the juice around the rim;

4. rub the glass in the bowl of salt margeritta style, layering a glaze of salt right around the rim.

5. add the ice to the salt-rimmed glass or mug;

6. squeeze the juice of the entire lemon into the glass - you basically need two shots of lemon juice at least (not lime!);

7. fill the rest of the glass with beer.

Try it - your initial reaction may be a bit 'what the fuck' - but relax and give it a decent try and you might be surprised. Once you've had this twice you will be addicted - beer well never taste the same without limon y sal.

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie
  • Like 2

Here are two more:

Canadian red beer:

A pretty simple recipe:

a large glass or beer mug with 20% tomato juice, 80% beer. Sound foul? You could be surprised - and its an awesome hangover cure.

Michelada

Michelada is the more complex mixes of chelada-style mexican beers and the ingredient can vary from location to location in mexico - some use such strange ingredients as clamado (clam juice), chilli and chocolate with their beer.

The best Michelada mixture I found was one that was the same as a chelada as detailed above (remember lemon, not lime) with a shot of tomato juice and tablespoon of whostershire shire (spelling?) sauce.

This one is a little more challenging and is nice with a large Indios Honduran cigar.

wha.....??? you didn't try the pulque?

I'm still having dreams about visiting the pulque houses in mexico....

I'll have to try one of these out sometime! Really like the 'Chelada' recipe. Mmmm.. I can already hear myself saying me gusta..

is this really awesome and refreshing?

lemon flavoured beer doesn't really sound that great to me.

Michelada is the more complex mixes of chelada-style mexican beers and the ingredient can vary from location to location in mexico - some use such strange ingredients as clamado (clam juice), chilli and chocolate with their beer.

Wow thats different – beer with clam broth? Really?

My all time favourite beer was from melbourne's first microbrewery at the station tavern in Prahran. I don't know how they made it, but it was basically a blonde [long before blondes were invented] with a very strong lemon flavour.

Fresh lemon goes really well with wheat beers too.

Wasn't corona originally served with lemon before limes became trendy?

In Berlin the local drink is a wheat beer that is served with either raspberry or lady bedstraw cordial. Very fruity and acidic for the raspberry version, but my favourite is the 'waldmeister' [lady bedstraw].

Beer is so versatile.

Yeah exactly, once you get over the pre-conceived idea that it wont work and try it, you'll be surprised.

I was very hesitant and actually only got it because of a miscommunication, but it stuck on me to the point where I guarantee that if someone has two in a row they will like it.

Yeah clam juice, chocolate shavings, chilli - all sorts.

And yeah, in most places lemon is more traditional than lime. They love salt with their beer as well and I must admit it works.

As for Pulque - I did try it and couldnt get into it.

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

I saw something from tv Iron Chef

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Chef

The critics diddn't like but I think it wasn't enough time for 2 hours for marinade.

shredded raw sea cunmbers on the bottom of say a wine glass..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_cucumber

balsmic vin4rgar would be good marinad4e and refrigerat4ed for 2 hours then a refriggeered wine slowly added [white wine] as 2nd layer and then hot oil beef fat as surprise on top which would soon chill as all.

So like a sea cumber bloody mary but with wine and marinade

Wasn't corona originally served with lemon before limes became trendy?

I've heard the lemons that they put in coronas were originally used to kill the bacteria that was the water?

Nowadays it's just a given to put a lemon or lime into your corona, people look at you weird if you don't haha.

Liking the sounds of these recipes! Going to have to delve in some always keen to try out new bevs cheers buddy

Pickled Pigs’ Feet (Cured and Pickled) vodka.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/cure_smoke/pigs_feet_cured.html

Curing Brine

(4 cups) 2 lbs. salt

(2 Tbs.) 1 oz. sodium nitrate or

(1/4 tsp.) 0.05 oz. sodium nitrite

(4 qts.) 1 gal. water

(Please read about Nitrates and Nitrites)

Thoroughly clean the feet using a coarse brush and hot water. Trim closely to remove any remaining hair. Only the front feet are used. Place the cleaned feet in enough curing brine to cover them. Cure for five days at 40ºF.

Remove feet from brine, wash, and split from the toe to the shank to prevent skin from splitting during cooking. Place feet in kettle and cover with cold water. Heat to boiling, reduce temperature and cook until tender. Test with a fork after three hours. Do not stir while cooking. Time required is about six hours. Chill with cold water. After the feet are firmed and the fat washed off, split the feet with a cleaver and remove the shank bone.

Pickling: Pack the feet in jars and cover with hot vinegar pickle of five percent strength (50 grain). Pickling spice, bay leaves, cloves or peppers may be added to the vinegar pickle if desired. Check the jars after 14 days to ensure that the feet are covered with vinegar. If not, remove pickle, add additional vinegar, reheat and pour over feet. Seal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickled_pigs_feet

After pickiling put pigs feet in water for 2 hours and then put into at least 80 proof or 200 percent alcohol.

Good snack when taveling Russia Siberia on train.

asdadasdas

Edited by Teljkon