The Corroboree
weraroa

Pachanoi problem

Hey guys

A friend of mine has been asking what could be wrong with her cactus. It has some sort of blistering/possbile infection but i'm not an expert and don't know exactly what it could be. Your advice would be very much appreciated!

Cheers

post-6822-0-05271300-1318033944_thumb.jp

post-6822-0-76671300-1318033958_thumb.jp

post-6822-0-81636800-1318034027_thumb.jp

post-6822-0-05271300-1318033944_thumb.jpg

post-6822-0-76671300-1318033958_thumb.jpg

post-6822-0-81636800-1318034027_thumb.jpg

post-6822-0-05271300-1318033944_thumb.jpg

post-6822-0-76671300-1318033958_thumb.jpg

post-6822-0-81636800-1318034027_thumb.jpg

it looks like a virus to me

but it also looks a lot like true sunburn as well...

did the owner put the plants out into bright conditions right before that happened?

Edited by Gunter

What a shame , looks like something one of mine had of which i started this thread about.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29311

My guess its fairly common (viral?) remaining dormant but showing severe symptoms when the cactus is experiencing stress. ie: pot is too small

Also it looks like a T.scopulicola not a pach...

I need to think about this. Whats interesting is that all "viral" hotspots are at places that have sunburn. Could be a nutrient defiency of some sort due to the damage.

It could also be that the area was more vulnerable to sunburn because it has viral damage but i would think that the chances of that are lower. Do you know what came first? The white spots or the scars?

Or it could be that the scars are actually entry points for the virus whats not that uncommon either. These three options are on the table. What do you guys think is the most likely one?

Edited by Evil Genius

Does she have any other cacti? If she does, does this affect any other of her cacti?

Hey all

Thankyou for your replies and I am sorry for such a delay I lost my sense of time.

Will let my friend know about and suggest maybe a bigger pot or to plant in the ground.

Thanks again for the help! This is her only cacti, i believe.

• Like 1

Cool scop err pach!!?? Im not sure which it is, but it looks like a sweet plant. No doubt 40+ full days of burning shunshine this summer probably helped contribute to the scarring. Get the soil right and a happy garden follows ( or some bullshit like that :P )

And its good to see another NZ'er posting. :)

• Like 1

The heat this summer was so strong it travelled back in time 2 years aye Nemisty? :P

• Like 1

It blew me into a toroidal vortex. I think your right Nemistry it does look like a Scop.

I will upload some pics of my grandfathers cacti, some are older than I.

• Like 1

That cactus is doing surprisingly well living in such a small pot!

The blistering & sunburn isnt likely to cause on-going problems as the new growth looks sweet as, just a bit of an awkward teenager phase, y'know.. 'pizzaface' and whatnot.

• Like 1

The heat this summer was so strong it travelled back in time 2 years aye Nemisty? :P

:scratchhead:

followed by

:BANGHEAD2:

I was in a hurry dismorning okay! :rolleyes:

Edited by Nemisty
  • Like 1