The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Micromegas

Anadenanthera importation

Hi Folks, I have quite a number of Anadenanthera columbrina seeds collected from NW Argentina. Does anyone know the legality of sending these seeds to Australia from South America (from Bolivia or Peru). The seeds are clean and can be labelled. They are 100% correctly identified. Alternatively, can they be brought through customs in Sydney when I return home? I have enough seeds to try both options. Travelling across borders in SA has so far not been an issue.

Bascially, does anyone know if they are on a restricted list?

Thanks for any help, Micro

A.colubrina seeds are a prohibited import under customs drug legislation. Customs also knows what they look like and have even hassled me about similar lookign species. Even if you get away with claiming them to be a differeng genus, the fact they contain customs prohibited drugs can get you into all sorts of trouble.

Ok, bummer! thanks torsten. Now to work out what to do with 2000 cebil seeds!

I might be able to direct you to someone micromegas. PM me.

Just an update. About 10 days before starting this thread, unaware of the legal status, i sent four envelopes home with seeds labelled anandenanthera columbrina, as well as some other species. A few days ago my parents received a letter from quarantine saying the seeds were contaminated and I could chose to resend to sender (the post office in San Pedro de Atacama, Chile!) or have the seeds destroyed. We chose the latter. Not sure what ¨contaminated¨ means the seeds were clean and others that I still have show no signs of mold etc.

colubrina often has weevils ad you wouldn't know if they were in the seed when you sent them and emerged in transit.

half lucky anyway. you might not have gotten the seed, but at least you also did not get charged with importing drugs.

• Like 1

Three of the four packages arrived at my home, opened and inspected by quarantine, each with a letter from quarantine inside and all the interior envelopes were dramatically closed with PASSED QUARANTINE stickers in black and yellow. I guess only one of the envelopes contained seeds that were contaminated.

Not sure of viabiliy but i will check as soon as i can.

Having said all that, I would not choose to send these seeds to myself again, now that I am aware of their legal status.

Edited by Micromegas