The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Bretloth

KK Cacti

Hey! The SAB shop has some interesting kk cacti going at the moment, was wondering if anybody knew anything about them, has info, pics etc. Can't seem to find much about them on the net and I know Knize can't be trusted with the kk242 perus, but maybe he gets it right sometimes? Is anyone growing these plants? Any info on the following cacti appreciatted :)

Echinopsis glauca 'KK 336' (T.glaucus)

Echinopsis macrogona 'KK2176-blue' (T.macrogonus)

Echinopsis peruviana ssp. puquiensis 'KK1689'

Echinopsis sp. (tulhuayachensis) 'KK337'

Echinopsis camarguensis v. nana 'KK1414'

Echinopsis peruviana 'KK1688' (T.peruvianus)

Echinopsis tarmaensis 'KK2148' (T.peruvianus)

Echinopsis cataquirensis (nom.ill.) 'KK918'

Echinopsis sp. (tulhuayachensis) 'KK337'

Supposedly this one grows 6'+, it's not a small clumper but more like a peruvianus and it blooms redish pink. I have a cutting I got from SS. Was kind of expensive.

Sounds like an interesting cactus, cheers :)

Some of the plants and seeds Knize collected are awesome from a cactus-enthusiast point of view. Personally, i´d love to have some of the plants that you Australians can buy in torstens store so if i were you, i´d make sure to get em as i know very few shops around the globe that have em in their catalogue. At least with a correct ID. Ebay is pretty much full of Knize-sourced plants but sometimes its pretty hard to find out which one it is.

KK337 is an awesome plant and pretty much the best cactus that SS have in their Catalogue. Its a spiny monster with a truly unique flower. I would love to have some myself but was never able to score one. I grow some KK337 x Bridgesii seedlings but they are still very small. But they already look VERY spiny. I even heard stories about people being injured very badly from this cactus.

Cant say much about the others yet because most of them are nomen nudums which kinda means that they arent a real species. Or just the wrong species labeled as something else. I have doubts that the Trichocereus Glaucus that knize sells is really Trichocereus Glaucus. Nevertheless its an interesting plant. bye EG

Edited by Evil Genius

Those should all be interesting cacti, Knize isn't as bad at the ID thing as is often suggested, it seems like his kk242 mix up only pertains to seeds, possibly mislabeled.

his so called macrogonus is likely going to be closer to a validus type, but still quite cool.

Some of his identifications are going to be different than the published descriptions, but they should be consistent and usually desirable and interesting.

I grabbed atleast one of all the above, two of most. Surprised they have lasted so long to be honest, kudos to Torsten for having such rare interesting plants. Sounds like a mission to get anything worthwhile out of Knize. But, the fucker does have some plants you can't anywhere else, the kk glaucus looks like a fat blue peruvianoid of sorts from the few pics around, the 337 should be really cool when they eventually flower, hoping the tarmaensis are like the ones in M.S Smiths photos. Just got to try and avoid the cuzcos labelled perus.. Cheers for the info guys :)

While there is a lot of valid criticism that can be directed at KK, he seems to appreciate these plants and has made an undeniable contribution to the cause, so to speak.

If you can find plants that others grew out from seed, like from SAB, the KK material should be worth procuring. Also cuttings of plants originally sourced through him are typically awesome, just try to avoid having to deal with KK directly...

• Like 1

give him a break hes a snr citizen!

• Like 1