The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Evil Genius

I love the Leguminosae

Hi,

one of the most interesting familys to me is the Leguminosae! I´m particularly intersted in acacias or mimosas and i like collecting all kind of rare seeds and plants. Maybe there are some more people who are interested in this area and who can post some intersting stuff about their plants and the way they are growing them.What kind of Problems occured during cultivation?Do you have tips for Propagation?Any information on native medicinal usage? Pics would be very cool. I am going to post some of my pics of my small acacias on the weekend too. EG

[ 02. September 2005, 18:42: Message edited by: Evil Genius ]

This is a Anadenanthera colubrina from 2003. A very nice plant to grow. But compared to other anadenantheras this one is very slow growing. I had some other seeds which have been labeled colubrina and the plants are gowing 2 times faster than this one.I´d bet at least one of them have been misidentified.

normal_Bild%20117aa.jpg

[ 02. September 2005, 19:24: Message edited by: Torsten ]

I edited your pic link because you used a positional link rather than the actual jpg file. The problem is that positions in the gallery database change occasionally and then links are all wrong.

jpg file locations don't change.

I love em too

With the legumes its good to get innoculants and different species fit into a number of groups

luckily many of these root innocula are sold commercially

it isnt normally necessary but i saw some results from a study showing that use of them even in australia where we can assume most often that the bacteria will show up for native legumes that there was better survial with it added when doing reveg - proll due to overclearing and less innocual to get around

it can come as a frozen paste, mixed in sterile peat moss, or as a dry powder and you coat the seed before planting

I dont know many legumes that like waterlogging and ive found legumes benefit from a grass muclh almost as much as grasses benefit from legumes

also legumes DO appreciate nitrogenous fertilisers - to get them going but the self sustain thereafter.

very low N levels and very high levels intefere with microbe symbiosis

legume trees worst enemies are stem borers, and in mimosoids - psyllids of which there re many native ones that impact exotic species

If you happen to read this thread, and are on the east coast of the US, just scrape some soil and root bark from around the base of an Albizzia tree (also called Silk Tree, and erroneously as mimosa). Mix it in with whatever planting medium you decide is correct, let it sit for a while at room temp, then plant into that mix with any mimosoids (anadenanthera, mimosa, desmanthus...)

[ 06. September 2005, 00:55: Message edited by: Pisgah ]

Yep, I go along with Mimosa. However, seeing as there are MANY species that look like M.pudica would suggest the ID of pudica to be tentative and mostly based on probablylity.

Actually it shouldn´t be a M.pudica. It was once labeled but the label got lost.According to the supplier it should be an acacia but it seems that they have been labeled wrong from the wholesaler right from the start. the supplier also sells pudica. It´s a very sensitive one.

[ 26. September 2005, 11:20: Message edited by: Evil Genius ]

what plants look totally like pudica? i would be very very interrested to know. I have pudica growing and well yes, if its not sensitive, im sorry i speculated totally wrong. if it is, its pudica, my pudicas look exactly like that plant in the pic.

but since im not sure they are pudica anymore, even though they were labeled pudica from the garden store, if theres sensitive lookalikes im not too sure about mine being pudica either, since they look almost identical to that pic.

yes my ID is definetly based on only looking at that pic since lacking a sample of that partivular plant. but since im also growing acacias (various) and none of them resemble any mimosa even closely, if you dont count baileyana/dealbata and other mimosa style leafed ones. i would be very interrested to know wich acacias look so much like pudica in close-up picture.

shit fuck piss doom!!! i got some pics online but i put one pudica in the CACTI part, any way to change its place anymore?? if there is a way i just couldnt figure it out (stupid) anyway i think your "acacia" looks SO much like pudica it drives me nuts.

thanks for the lovely gallery option and im really sorry i fucked it up with that non-cacti one :/

even know it is commom that people recommend using innocula from wild plants, i think this may spread disease and i would only use commercially available ones

Originally posted by tinya:

what plants look totally like pudica?

other Mimosa species for example

You mean invisa or other sensitive ones?

wich ones look like pudica? ive seen invisa and the other sensitive one in australia (cant remember name but discussed here before in other mimosa thread), neither look like pudica to me..

..please correct me if im wrong.

ive also got few mimosa species growing, non of them look at all like pudica. please tell me wich mimosas look like pudica thanks.

any tips on how to operate the gallery ?

well i guess if not, i cant erase my fuckups.

sorry.

And about the innoculant, ofcourse it is needed but ususally planting the plants near each other, and making a dh2o suspension from the roots and pouring that into the other plants roots works fine, just be sure to check the plant/roots for signs of disease.

also check for acremonium fungis they are symbiotic endophytes you might need with the plant to make it "shamanic" in some cases.

i have survived without commercial rhizobiums so-far, and hope to until ive got the skills to isolate a pure strain of rhizobium myself (shouldnt be long at all)

"also check for acremonium fungis they are symbiotic endophytes you might need with the plant to make it "shamanic" in some cases."

Acremonium spp. biosynthesise Lysergic derivatives

more likely to be at work in Grasses like Stipa and fescue

I have about 5 or 6 different pink mimosas here which are probably all different species. One of them is bound to be pudica, but the others aren't. sorry, can't help you with proper ID as they were all sold to me (and everyone else on the web) as Mimosa hostilis.

I don't know how many Mimosa species there are in the genus, but I think it would be silly to think that none looked like pudica.