The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mutant

Acacia maidenii

P1060276.jpg

P1060278.jpg

Some friends gave me this plant since they did have the appropriate space and climate for it. It was in pretty bad shape when I got it , but it seems ok. You think I could prune it for shape. I have been tryin to tie it up to fix the shape a bit.

When is the best time to plant in the ground ? Do you think I should give it full sun lot of hours? I think it yellows its leves in very intense sun.. hmmm...

anyways,

and here are some small acuminatas. I hope they make it to maturity!

P1060275.jpg

• Like 2

I've been caring for 20 maidens or so

last couple of years..

and i've given them the harsh treatment.

Let my chooks pluck em,

no water.. too much sun.. rootbound..

Grown real slow.. in shit dirt..

they're unstoppable. If things get too rough, they close up

turn a lil reddish..

I've replanted a few small ones (in the middle of winter)

a few times in past few weeks, and they dont mind at all.

These trees i've got, like rock. Even if there's just a rock in the pot with them,

let alone one to grow over or around.. I think they like something hard to push against,

to know where they are.

I'd have em in the ground, ready for the spring boom

• Like 1

Looks like a healthy plant to me. Are you trying to keep it small and dense by pruning? The phyllodes look a different shade of green to my plants though, but probably due to seasonal and climate differences. Here in Oz at least, my maidenii plants responded very well to full sun after being planted out in the spring at about 6 months of age. Here is one of them at 2 years old:

post-6519-0-40698900-1313895239_thumb.jp

post-6519-0-75306000-1313895258_thumb.jp

Another that I don't have pics of got run over by a lawn mower early on :o , but regrew quickly and is now about half the size of the one shown.

I found that despite the relatively poor soil quality they really loved being planted in the ground, and the rate of growth much exceeded when in even a large pot. I would recommend planting out as soon as you can, but maybe someone more knowledge can say when the best time of the year to plant is. I remember seeing heaps of acacia's growing wild on Crete, so can't see any reason why you shouldn't plant out if you have space.

post-6519-0-40698900-1313895239_thumb.jpg

post-6519-0-75306000-1313895258_thumb.jpg

post-6519-0-40698900-1313895239_thumb.jpg

post-6519-0-75306000-1313895258_thumb.jpg

Edited by kalika
  • Like 1

hi!

My maidenii looks like its going OK, the new branch grew fast

P1070199.jpg

P1070198.jpg

This plant was given to me in poor state and with the top destroyed [hence the more bush look] ... I intend to plant in the ground

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1