The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

A. nervosa not used by shamen

Hey,

Remember that thread, where the guy was complaining someone he knew had a heart attack or something from taking 3 A. nervosa seeds.

I said it was interesting that while it grew in the same area as I. violacea, nobody used it, and someone said it was from Asia and asked for a reference.

At the time I couldn't find it, but I was looking at the wiki page for A. nervosa and noticed a snippet of the story on it, so I googled for it.

http://www.entheology.org/edoto/anmviewer.asp?a=83&z=5

quote:

The activity of morning glories appears to be due to d-lysergic acid amide (ergine) and related alkaloids (Schultes and Hofmann, 1980). Interestingly, the authors discovered a woodrose (Argyreia spp.) growing in the vicinity of the village where Don Alejandro lived. Argyreia spp. contain LSD-like compounds (Chao and der Marderosian, 1973). When asked whether he used the plant, Don Alejandro said that he did not, since it caused people to become crazy. The curandero also had several horticultural specimens of Coleus spp. growing near his house.

Didn't want to start a new thread, but I couldn't find the old one and can't remember who asked for the reference.

On that note,

Someone was asking for more info on that piece of writing someone put up, where some young Spanish kids smoke hash out of a glass bottle, and wanted more info.

quote:

glass - glass is probably better cuz no plastic fumes get in the way to

stink up yer toke and what not.. to get a hole in a beer bottle heres

a cool trick.. drop a dime in there.. let it slide down to the bottom,

now flick the beer bottle upwards towards you in a sudden and even jerk,

let the coin slide back down and flick again in the EXACT same way ..

the idea being you want the dime to hit the same spot in the beer bottle

many many times.. as you do this a soft spot will begin to crack through

the glass and you can chip it out quite easily.. ive seen friends do

this and form a PERFECTLY round hole in 30-50 flicks... i cant do it at

all myself cuz i suck.. hehe.. or if you have it get a drill press and

just drill a hole in there... if you have a small drill bit what you can

do is just create a LITTLE hole in the bottle.. which you can in turn

PLUG UP with the hash.. and then use a lighter to heat the glass around

the bead... this would i guess be sort of like vapourizing cuz yer

heating the hash up without burning it.. but whatever.. i use smokes cuz

its a little easier to manage... but once you got a hole in the glass

bottle you do everything exactly the same as the plastic one... and

have fun with that...

(from http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cann...is_info19.shtml )

I remembered reading about it a long time ago when I was curious about the THC content of pipe/bong resin.

[ 06. August 2005, 05:48: Message edited by: apothecary ]

theres plenty of argyreia species around and they dont originate in the americas so im not suprised

for 'traditional' use youd be searching asia and the pacific not the americas

however plant influenced shamanism is not a static thing

diff people use diff plants at diff times and can take on new plants from different areas - say datura spp. and brugmansia spp., or i was told that in an instance nth american peyote healers passed on a big jar of dry peyote powder to their amazonian counterparts - and this confused the ethnobotanist when they spoke of the plant 'ichuri' that was green and round like an onion.

the researchers hadnt taken into account how readily these guys try new things and assumed it was a local plant until it came to light some time later

transcontintal plant exchange is not unknown as healers recognise the similarities in plants or their synergy

For example christian raatsch says nepalese healers use argyreia nervosa, and they say so too, and he tried the seeds himslef and they are active.

but in my book on nepalese plants only A hookerii is listed - so it prob this species instead

[ 06. August 2005, 10:52: Message edited by: Rev ]

Christian also found traditional healers in Hawaii who stated that they have a long tradition of HBWR use.

Also i spoke to a girl in Perth who was in hawaii and was hanging out with these guys too and they said they made a mix of HBWR, panaeolus, heliconia root, cacao leaf and aleurites nut

and used it to diagnose internal illnesses ala x-ray vision type divination

ive brushed on this amazing mode of sensation while on aya so im open to the notion it can be sensed