The Corroboree
Glynn

Uprooted acacias

Hi all, my friend has an acacia tree that seems to have started sprouting more trees from the root system around her garden (first noticed about a year ago). Unfortunately they weren't in very convenient spots so she has dug them up and given them to me.. I heard acacias dont often react well to root disturbance :< so i decided to come here for help...

I've taken some photos,

what should I do with them?

is it suitable to put them into pots?

post-6354-0-09225100-1311837676_thumb.jp

post-6354-0-89590500-1311837711_thumb.jp

post-6354-0-05474300-1311837743_thumb.jp

post-6354-0-26219500-1311837778_thumb.jp

post-6354-0-09225100-1311837676_thumb.jpg

post-6354-0-89590500-1311837711_thumb.jpg

post-6354-0-05474300-1311837743_thumb.jpg

post-6354-0-26219500-1311837778_thumb.jpg

post-6354-0-09225100-1311837676_thumb.jpg

post-6354-0-89590500-1311837711_thumb.jpg

post-6354-0-05474300-1311837743_thumb.jpg

post-6354-0-26219500-1311837778_thumb.jpg

whenever i have taken acacias out from the ground - two weeks previous i will go and push a spade in around the perimeter a foot. then the following week i will push it down another foot. I was told this will cause it to create more of a root mass within the cut zone - Then i will remove and transplant. It seemed to work for me - but im not a professional horticuluralist ! This is info passed on by another member and has worked every time - as for transplanting bare-rooted like that im really not sure ?

good luck though :D

I wouldn't think they'd survive. I've tried to move smaller acacias than that and kept at least some dirt on the roots, and they didn't survive.

Yours are bare rooted and looks like most of the fine root structure broke off with the soil - I wouldn't bother. If you do want to try, remove most of the above soil branches and foliage.

Good on you for asking though, I hate to see a plant (any plant) go to waste.

Edited by Alice

I have transplanted a maidenii seedling from my yard in an extremely difficult area (between rocks) and accidently removed half the tap root and a large amount of root mass into a pot. It died off a bit but a few months later it came back slightly deformed but is not back to normal :)

hmmm... most of the root structure visible in the photos was actually poking above the ground at my friends house.

is it possible to grow from smaller cuttings taken from these plants?

probably not the best example cause i see them get disturbed and grow back shoots often, i have had to translpant a couple of A. melaxoxylon seedlings and a couple of times at that and they have survived. took a year to recover though, and already mistreated as i forgot to water them when in pots, and almost died.

i guess it would depend on the strength of the plant in order to regrow sufficient roots and root hairs to grow back.

Cheers, Obtuse.

hmmm... most of the root structure visible in the photos was actually poking above the ground at my friends house.

is it possible to grow from smaller cuttings taken from these plants?

I have grown several acacia from small sections of root. Generally much smaller than these ones though. I would try the following

plant pretty deep so that just the branches are poking out. Prune right back to maybe 10cm above the soil. Wait. I honestly have had quite good luck with transplanting acacia. I only try smaller specimines but i reckon you can get it to shoot. Try watering with Rhizome Promoting nutrients to help stimulate it a bit.

hi glyyn

i do bonsai trees so i know alot about pulling trees out of the ground to replant and repot.

keep those roots moist buddy.

what we want to do is avoid the acacia going into what we call it root shock.

we use a seaweed extract powder.

luckily for you we are in the warmer months of the year right now.

got any root hormone powder ?

stick her in a pot asap.. once in a pot.. dont touch it , not even a flinch , put it somewhere so she isnt disturbed .

and just be patient.

i just potted two maiden hair brnaches with no roots what so ever as a bonsai tree project and used a root hormone powder... and there doing quite well.

if i can do it to branches with not even a single root.. then so can you :)

thanks guys i think they've died already unfortunately :< but my friend has more so i'll give it another shot :D