The Corroboree
Echelon

Callistemon Viminalis (Bottlebrush)

Hi All,

Are there any alkaloids to be found in the Callistemon Viminalis (red bottlebrush tree)?

Im pretty sure that this tree was used by the aboriginals as an antibacterial for cuts an things like that... you could make a bear grylls style cuppa tea by dunking in the flower and getting some of that nector in your brew i suppose. lol :blink:

Im pretty sure that this tree was used by the aboriginals as an antibacterial for cuts an things like that... you could make a bear grylls style cuppa tea by dunking in the flower and getting some of that nector in your brew i suppose. lol :blink:

LOL.

I think SWIM will have a crack at raising the Acuminata seeds that arrived in the mail the other day in that case.

just cause it doesnt have 'the alkaloids' that do something to your brain chemistry, doesnt mean it doesn't have worth, beautiful trees, would look nice with your acuminata, and as is mentioned some make a nice summer necter drink, the birds love em, and the flowers can be quite stunning in some varieties, a whole new level of brain chemistry alterations right there: our native flora is wonderous.

• Like 3

just cause it doesnt have 'the alkaloids' that do something to your brain chemistry, doesnt mean it doesn't have worth, beautiful trees, would look nice with your acuminata, and as is mentioned some make a nice summer necter drink, the birds love em, and the flowers can be quite stunning in some varieties, a whole new level of brain chemistry alterations right there: our native flora is wonderous.

Hi Velvetsiren, indeed it is a very beautiful tree.

SWIM has a large Callistemon Viminalis on his nature strip. He recently had to cut a significant number of branches from the tree as it was overhanging and blocking the footpath. SWIM was about to chuck out the foliage with the green waste bin and thought it was worth a try here. He would be kicking himself for throwing out a whole wheelie bin full of the plant material if it had any other use.

I don't think SWIM would be game enough to plant the acuminata beside it on the nature strip though. I'm sure some clever bugger from the corroboree would walk past and figure out what it was.

Edited by Echelon

I looked at some leaves and found nothing of interest using simple tests.

Edited by Archaea

I looked at some leaves and found nothing of interest using simple tests.

I'm glad someone else has taken a look at it. Thanks for the useful info.

I can't say it is eliminated as an interesting plant.

It needs some GCMS work.

I just didn't find anything of interest with low tech tests like examining extracts under UV and odor screening. these plants smell funny.

Edited by Archaea