The Corroboree
Zen Peddler

Treated pine sleepers for a vegie patch

New CCA logs aren't a problem. The problem is when the logs start breaking down as they release a lot more arsenic then. I am happy to use CCA everywhere, but not in my vegie garden.

If you have sandy soil in your beds then you're probably better off than if it is loam, ie the more water flushes the soil the less arsenic will be absorbed.

There are also some pretty good barrier materials. Even builders plastic would keep the vast majority of arsenic running towards the bottom. Just depends on how high your beds are and how deep the roots go.

and yes, never burn CCA timber! I know a goat farmer who lost two goats after a tradesman built a shelter for them and burnt the wate in the goat paddock. Goats ate the ash and died.

shame ... i love goats

So is this to protect plants from excessive rainfall/flooding or rock solid clay soil? :scratchhead:

I never got the raised bed fad, I just stick stuff in the ground and it grows. No wood or fancy sprinklers needed.

LOL. Its for drainage. My place is a south slopping block in the mountains. its muddy and wet all the time, so ive had to raise the beds to make the soil not water-logged. When I plant in the ground I get some success but in the cooler months it turns to slush out there.

Otherwise, trust me I wouldnt bother because im pretty rustic and lazy... ive pulled out two and swapped them for ACQ wood (which is also green) and im getting hardwood for the other two - massive sleepers that are 50mm thick so are a pain in the arse to carry around and cut.